Attribution

IrisMorning

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello.

I live in Spain.

I have downloaded several sounds from the Internet under Attribution License for commercial purposes in Second Life (gestures), and I plan to continue working on it.

I have never changed the original name of the sound. When I have cut and converted the sounds online (if needed), some words have been added to the initial name.

Is that a proper way to attribute sounds?

Thanks for replying.

4 answers to this question

Hi Iris,

The CC Attribution license doesn't require you to retain the name (or any other aspect) of a licensed work. It does require you to give attribution to the originator. If there's specific language attached to the sounds you've used, refer to that.

If the thing you are making is solely for your own use, there's really no way for anyone to see (hear? ;-) any attribution required by the license.

If you plan to distribute this thing, I think (I'm no lawyer) it would be sufficient to include a notecard containing the attribution inside its contents folder. If you're only distributing the sound, include a separate notecard giving attribution.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, Madelaine :)

I will add that note in the future and modify the current gestures in my store and/or express attribution in the description field.

In the name of the some sounds I have downloaded there's an express attribution to the author. In this case, I suppose that retaining the name is enough.

You have been veru helpful.

Have a good day!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.