Can you animate the face of a mesh alone ?

Lyckaeus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying to understand animation for meshes.

Say if I export a simple box from blender which is one object with 2 materials, this will create 2 faces on my box in SL (one for the top, and one for the rest of the box) that I can texture separately.

Can I animate that top to open up like a door/ or do I have to have export it from blender as 2 object selected together (linked once imported to SL).

Thank you for the help

You can animate the texture of an individual face (or all faces at once). Though, if you want something like a door, which swings, or slides into another position, it has to be separate objects in a linkset. Could be even unlinked, but that's rather unpractical.

Although, you could make the door in a closed, and in an open state and keep it as one mesh. You need a material for each state, and just make one transparent, and the other opaque.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply, this is what I thought, I did read about creating a different state and then animating them with alpha but that would mean way too many tris and much higher LI hehe.

Can you set the rotation point in SL ? for now I have the rotation axel set to the right spot in blender, just wondering if this matters once in game.

Yeah, unfortunately the Second Life importer sets the pivot always to the center of the meshes bounding box. The video Rolig has linked to shows the workaround pretty well. Although, instead of adding a second material for the "offsetting" triangle, I snap 2 of the vertices of this triangle together, without merging them. This leaves just a line which won't be rendered in-world. Saves a material, and especially it doesn't increase the Display Weight unnecessarily. Because as soon as you have transparency on one of the faces, it will count all triangles of the mesh against the transparency. :matte-motes-confused:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.