Start saving your penni...err Linden$ (Another CEO gaffe)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3010 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Those anxiously awaiting the general release of Oculus may have to save an extra few months before purchasing. It seems that Luckey was premature in his estimates on the final retail price of the unit, and now states it will retail around US$599.00. The article also posits that most who desire the new toy will not be able to use it until they upgrade their computers to be able to handle it though and so they are tacking on an extra $1000 to the estimate to be up and running. And oh, that is without the the Occulus control pad, which the CEO would not quote a price on.

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-oculus-rift-pricing-isnt-what-you-thought-itd-be/

So, this probably pushes wide-spread adoption of the Oculus Rift back about ... oh maybe two years? By end of 2018 we should see something like 15% to 20% penetration of the "Maximal Market". Keeping in mind that the size of the segment that will eventually purchase a Rift is a small fraction of the overall computer market. Subtracting out those that will use theirs exclusively for MMORPG and real-time games. Eliminating those that are not and won't be interested in Virtual Worlds ..

That leaves me and my neighbor .. pretty much. (And I won't spend that much.)

Dangit! Where did they hide the "Told Ya So!" emoji?

I was surprised at the high pc requirements. The nvidia gtx 970 needed is $340 right now. That's not mid range, that's high end pricing. Even the i5 needed is a high end i5 that runs for $200 right now. Just counting those pieces and the rift gets you $1,140 down the hole.

Also, no laptops can run this. No Macs. No Linux. 

The audience of Oculus users is going to be rather small and homogenous. 

Bree Giffen wrote:

I was surprised at the high pc requirements. The nvidia gtx 970 needed is $340 right now. That's not mid range, that's high end pricing. Even the i5 needed is a high end i5 that runs for $200 right now. Just counting those pieces and the rift gets you $1,140 down the hole.

Also, no laptops can run this. No Macs. No Linux. 

The audience of Oculus users is going to be
rather small and homogenous

Yes, Sansar and HiFi users I would expect.

Even if the rift had been in the 350 dollar price range they said at first, the problem is the computer still would be needed to be high end like they suggest now.   it even was for the dk1/dk2 units.  it's what is the biggest draw back to VR.  any bottle necks and you drop below that 75fps they need for this, otherwise people get sick and other crazy crap. SL is not going to be very useful with the head set,  sansar, hifi will be though.

Darrius Gothly wrote:

So, this probably pushes wide-spread adoption of the Oculus Rift back about ... oh maybe two years? By end of 2018 we should see something like 15% to 20% penetration of the "Maximal Market".
Keeping in mind that the size of the segment that will eventually purchase a Rift is a small fraction of the overall computer market.
Subtracting out those that will use theirs exclusively for MMORPG and real-time games. Eliminating those that are not and won't be interested in Virtual Worlds ..

That leaves me and my neighbor .. pretty much. (And I won't spend that much.)

Dangit! Where did they hide the "Told Ya So!" emoji?

Indeed. They need pron, and pronto. Plenty of it, and in all varieties. That will move the market.

I dunno about anyone else but Im not spending that kind of money. Not even if I had it. Thats just greed pricing. So hopefully SL isnt putting all its money into that money pit. As if the world doesnt have enough "elitist" only games to pay and play for.

lucky me that i dont have depth perception then o.O i dont get motion sickness,vertigo,or any other kind of balance glitch related sickness

for me,looking at anything irl is roughly the same as a normal person looking at a print magazine with a monocle over one eye,or perhaps a crude poto without all the modern fx.

youd think this would be a hinderance,but its not.the advantages being the lack of motion sickness,vertigo (etc.),also i can stare at a very high fps strobelight vid for as long as i want with no ill effects

if you normal people out there have problems related to depth perception,there is an easy fix,get a mildly curved glass lens to fit over one eye.it will distort the curvate of your visual field enough to disable depth perception.handy for high motion stuff

The top 10% get to play around with it for the first 5 years, then the price gets lowered for the plebs to play around with the 'old' technology afterwords. Isn't that the way it always goes these days? Silverspoon worship is an important philosophy to reinforce above and beyond profits now?:smileywink:

There's still the HTC Vive and the Sony Playstation VR to wait for. Oculus is a brand new company w/ no deep hardware development infrastructure. They had to hire everyone, research and prototype everything from zero. HTC is a large multinational electronics manufacturer from Taiwan. Sony is no slouch in the world of electronics manufacturing either. Both have operating revenue in billions. The Oculus is owned by Facebook,  a social media company, hardly known for gaming. HTC is partnering up with Valve, the creators of HalfLife and the STEAM online game store. Sony has.. 34 million Playstaion 4s sold as of this month.

Tenly wrote:

I dunno about anyone else but Im not spending that kind of money. Not even if I had it. Thats just greed pricing. So hopefully SL isnt putting all its money into that money pit.
As if the world doesnt have enough "elitist" only games to pay and play for.

Where? I am without a shadow of doubt, one of the world's elite people, so I should be in those games. I wonder why nobody told me about them. Has Coby been keeping them secret from me?

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3010 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.