Bad physics shape on terraformed land?

Kaie Harbinger

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I own a parcel of mainland, and right along the border between my land and one of the neighbor's, it seems like there's sort of an invisible ridge. As in, the land itself appears to be more or less flat, but when I walk over the spot, my avatar climb up into the air, well above the apparent level of the ground. It's not a stray piece of invisible mesh or prim - nothing shows up with ctrl + alt + T, and the neighbor in question is only using 6 LI, all of it in one object some distance from the parcel edge. Nor are any of my objects near there.

Both parcels are in the same region, if it matters.

I doubt I can do anything about it because most of the issue is on my neighbor's land but I'm curious why this would happen. Is this a known bug? Should I report it?

2 answers to this question

The land itself won't do that, so you are colliding with an object of some kind.  If using CTRL + Alt + T doesn't show up anything, then you are not colliding with the object itself but with its bounding box or physics shape.  My guess is that it's a fairly large mesh object below the surface, perhaps a bit of artificial landscaping that was abandoned by a previous owner. You might be able to find it by simply camming underground.  You could also try making bounding boxes or physics shapes visible temporarily with the toggle in your Develop menu.  (Open Develop with CTRL + Alt + Q, but you may need to open Advanced first if it isn't already open -- CTRL + Alt + D.  Then Render Metadata >>>  and either Bounding Boxes or Physics Shapes.)  When you have one of those displays activated, things look very odd, but you should be able to see whatever you are colliding with.  Then it's a matter of identifying and returning it.

• Like 1

Do a support ticket or a live chat if you have a premium account and see about getting the sim restarted. There's a bug that shows up from time to time where the collision physics you walk on in a sim gets out of sync with the actual land. I've had it happen several times, especially after doing even a small amount of terraforming. The only way to fix it is for the sim to be restarted.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3025 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.