Simulator Induced Sickness with HMDs like the Oculus Rift

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3029 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For several years I chaired a Tri-Service/NASA committee studying the causes and effects of simulator induced sickness (SIS) with the use of high-resolution head-mounted displays (HMD).  These phenomena, which usually include nausea and some dizziness are mainly caused by a conflict between the visual system (telling you are moving) and the vestibular system (which is convinced that you are not moving). Increasing the instantaneous field-of-view, resolution, sharpness of image, update rate – all these engineering improvements have no effect on the SIS. SIS is more prevalent in users over 40 and also in females. What normally happens is that with repeated usage the incidence of SIS will decline, so the recommended approach is to limit the first several sessions with a HMD to short intervals with long breaks in between while the adaptation is taking place. Roughly 5-10% of users will not benefit by adaptation and will continue to experience SIS. Happy to answer any questions.

DrJ Darkfold wrote:

For several years I chaired a Tri-Service/NASA committee studying the causes and effects of simulator induced sickness (SIS) with the use of high-resolution head-mounted displays (HMD).  These phenomena, which usually include nausea and some dizziness are mainly caused by a conflict between the visual system (telling you are moving) and the vestibular system (which is convinced that you are not moving). Increasing the instantaneous field-of-view, resolution, sharpness of image, update rate – all these engineering improvements have no effect on the SIS. SIS is more prevalent in users over 40 and also in females. What normally happens is that with repeated usage the incidence of SIS will decline, so the recommended approach is to limit the first several sessions with a HMD to short intervals with long breaks in between while the adaptation is taking place. Roughly 5-10% of users will not benefit by adaptation and will continue to experience SIS. Happy to answer any questions.

I haven't tried any of the various Oculus or other HMD's, nor do I have any immediate plans to do so. I am strictly a casual observer here. I just think what  you have to impart would be better done by linking studies/papers/articles that talk about the subject. You did say there were NASA studies and while I'm sure some were military related and classified, I find it hard to believe there aren't some available to the public.

People who post to forums can claim to be anything or anyone at all. Anyone who spends much time in forums gets a bit wary of people who suggest they have out of the ordinary training/occupational experience/knowledge/etc. I am not suggesting you're a fraud at all, in fact truth to tell I'd be inclined to believe all you said (in spite of the fact I have absolutely no basis or reason for doing so). I'm just suggesting that for some things, and this is such, it's better to say "I know something about this, and there is documented intormation about it here", and then post one or more links. A lot of people won't click links but people who actually want to learn about the subject you're discussing will probably know how to check the link to see if it's reasonably safe.

Would taking a motion sickness medicine like dramamine help w/ SIS? Is this SIS linked to regular motion sickness? i.e. A person who normally gets motion sickness would most likely get SIS?

How long does it take to get acclimated to an HMD if one does have these problems? A week? Months?

MishkaKatyusha wrote:

:S

not sure what to say,i cant get motion sickness due to a minor visual impairment,i.e. lack of depth perception

I'd consider yourself very lucky in that regard. As the lack of depth perception more often causes motion sickness, and various other related issues, than it does eliminate the possibility. I've had that issue my entire life, it prevents a lot of really cool things(ok, cool to me anyway) I'd otherwise like to enjoy, but I cannot.  Then again, I suppose ya can't truly miss what you've never had, lol. Though in my case it isn't merely a lack of depth perception that causes motion sickness, but vision-well lack thereof-plays a massive role in it.

its to due with the curvature of one of my eyes,atleast thats how i remember the eye doctor saying it.

truth be told i only have depth perception within about 3 to 5 inches of my eyes.and considering i sit about 3.5 feet away from my monitor (which happens to be a discontinued smart tv),i usually dont get any depth perception induced anything

i was thinking about a tablet or something that i can hold closer to my face,but i get bad headaches if i crane my neck for too long.

makes it quite nightmarish though if a fly buzzes in my face

I think that Sansar being specifically optimized for HMDs like Oculus Rift is great.  Because if Sansar can work smoothly on them then working on a conventional monitor will be a piece of cake.

I like to know what is the average amount of time an HMD or Oculus Rift can be worn comfortably.  I then like to know the average amount of time residents of SL spend logged into SL per session.  My guess for HMD it is like 45 minutes to and hour while average login session for SL is 3 to 4 hours.

Personally I think CastAR has much more potential than conventional HMDs.  CastAR is much lighter and doesn't suffer from Simulator Induced Sickness so it can be worn for much longer periods of time comfortably than HMDs.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3029 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.