To Jara or not to Jara?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Im wondering if I should fill in a Jira report with Firestorm.
Last week I did 'clean install' and downloaded lasted FS viewer and my mesh Avi didnt form. She looked like a figure in some surreal painting. Partial legs sticking out from her chest and gaps in her back. One hand amputated also. I didnt worry at the time, but yesterday when I signed it ...it was the same.
Not sure if it was a connectivity problem so I tried the SL viewer. Things loaded perfectly. So then I went back to FS and downloaded the 32 bit for windows (not the 64 which I usually run) and that worked okay too.
What do you think. Was it just me or a problem with FS?

addition...sorry about the spelling/misdirection (if one). Yes I meant JIRI  

Alwin Alcott wrote:

i wear tmp, slink and adam mesh avatars, and have no problems with FS 64b.

But if you keep having problems, ask in the firestorm group inworld, that goes way faster than filing reports

Im okay now Alwin...just wondered if to send report or not. The 32 bit is working good for me. 

MishkaKatyusha wrote:

its likely that given the context this "jira/jara" is a sub-community specific byword for a support ticket

the fact that it uses the japanese phrase to refer to "godzilla" is very likely a sub-community specific injoke with relatively little signifigance

JIRA is not a support ticket.

A support ticket is a request for help through https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

JIRA is a proprietary piece of software used by LL (and other IT companies) to track bugs, accessed through https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa 

'Jara' is a weird misspelling.

eta: in this case, it would be the Firestorm JIRA, not the SL one.

tracking bugs is often part of the support process.

for the purposes of this discussion support ticket is used in the colloqial format,referring "to any and all activitys exclusively used for the purposes of support,which may or may not be limited to bug fixing,and data collection for said bug fixing"

the fact that it is a proprietary peice of software doesnt disuade the fact that since not everyone uses said thing,and not everyone is familiar with the term,it is infact logically a term exclusive to a sub- community who uses such a thing.again likely that it is an injoke

much like how several of the second life main servers are named after "looks" used by the title character in the zoolander movies.that is the essence of an injoke,something unique to a particular community that has relatively little signifigance other than the fact that its used as a form of society-lvl encryption.a deliberate attempt,perhaps on a subconcious level,to obfuscate the true purpose and or nature of something.

this is infact quite common when a large grouping of people without there own unique culture coalesce around a single point,they have no identity so they create there own,using the simplest and most efficienct method possible,the aforementioned injoke

(sidenote: i did once win the title of "font of useless knowledge)

I guess you could call it an in-joke, since it is a reference to their main competitor - Mozilla's bug tracking software Bugzilla.  But, like the server names used by LL, it's simply one company's decision of what to name something... not some sort of sub-cultural phenomenon.  Unless, of course, you consider the people who work for a company to be a sub-culture.

...Dres

ah yes,you are very intelligent sir,you guessed the statement of my speech without it being too clear

i do consider the people who work for the company to be a sub culture.SL is obviously different from other games,and continues to do so.so therefore its quite logically sound,especially considering SL's immense age,to consider the devs a sub culture

MishkaKatyusha wrote:

ah yes,you are very intelligent sir,you guessed the statement of my speech without it being too clear

i do consider the people who work for the company to be a sub culture.SL is obviously different from other games,and continues to do so.so therefore its quite logically sound,especially considering SL's immense age,to consider the devs a sub culture

I think you've missed what Dres was saying. A company named Atlassian makes bug-reporting software named Jira. Linden Lab has licensed Jira to use for bug reporting in SL. It's therefore common to tell people to file a Jira report when they find a bug. There are no LL sub-cultures involved in the name Jira -- it's just the name of the product.

perhaps,but.there is a significant difference

see,ive been floating around different games for the past 16 years.and only here in secondlife has this term cropped up.

so logically this follows: im willing to take what yo usay as true about jira being a widely used peice of bug reporting software.thus ,if that is true,then very likely considering the sheer number of places ive been,this "jira" was also in use in atleast some of those places.

and considering that this is the first place ive encountered that terminology.the name of the software itself being used here rather than simply the phrase "debug" or similar phrase/process constraints logically leads to again,the usage of the term being specific to SL sub-culture

you cant beleive that everyone is using the same terminology just because its popular in your area of expertise

then again i suppose its relatively pointless to debate about the technicalitys of such a thing.if using the name of it is more suitable for some then that is ok i guess

Oh, I think I understand what you're trying to say.  Employees and users of other platforms might say something like, "File a bug report," or something similar, even if they use Jira software for doing so.  Thereby making the terminology used instead by LL employees and SL users - "File a Jira" - a product of the LL/SL sub-culture.  Right?

...Dres

yeah pretty much.

i jsut thought that perhaps it might be slightly more efficient to say "file a bug report" and then outline the jira process.

>.> new people come in all the time,and the sub cultures are always the more difficult to learn

i recognize that the one guy might been being humurous by mentioning the "gojira" thing,but really misleading people who dont know doesnt help anyone in the end

Actually, the software was named JIRA as a tribute to the only woman who has simultaneously held the title of Ugliest Canadian and Most Whiney Voice in Post-Folk Rock, Joni Mitchell (she came third in the North American mis-spellings of the diminutives of  boring Victorian first names) who issued a collection of recorded songs (in that era when they were called albums, or long playing records) called HEJIRA, which is itself an erroneous transliteration of the Arabic word for journey.

***Call me if you want REALLY useless Irish facts, which are like real facts, but more interesting.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

As a general rule, with both the official LL viewer and with Firestorm, I would always try the regular support channels before concluding that I've discovered a bug that needs reporting via the Jira.

Okay..yes., Innula.  I guess thta saves then wading though lots of rubbish reports that were never BUGS.

CheriColette wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

As a general rule, with both the official LL viewer and with Firestorm, I would always try the regular support channels before concluding that I've discovered a bug that needs reporting via the Jira.

Okay..yes., Innula.  I guess thta saves then wading though lots of rubbish reports that were never BUGS.

Doing it that way also means that, if it's not a bug, someone will be able to tell you the fix and, if it is, someone will probably know whether it's been reported or not.  If it's already been reported, then you can simply add your comments to that rather than writing up a whole new report and repro.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3026 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.