should you backup your whole inventory by making copies and putting it in a backup folder

mead1982

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

That all depends on how paranoid you are.  I generally keep a copy of all scripts in a folder on my hard drive, outside of SL, and I usually have backups on a removeable drive.  The only things I make backup copies of in world are complex structures that I have built in world (as opposed to mesh creations I have uploaded), and some animations and sound files that I would hate to lose.  Anything else is expendable, as far as I am concerned.  Decide what your priorities are and how much risk you are willing to take.  Remember, though, that a large inventory (espcially one with a few huge folders) can create login problems and may actually increase your risk of lost inventory.  If you really want to save backup copies in world, you might be better off giving them to your alt to hold onto, if they are transferable.

2 answers to this question

That all depends on how paranoid you are.  I generally keep a copy of all scripts in a folder on my hard drive, outside of SL, and I usually have backups on a removeable drive.  The only things I make backup copies of in world are complex structures that I have built in world (as opposed to mesh creations I have uploaded), and some animations and sound files that I would hate to lose.  Anything else is expendable, as far as I am concerned.  Decide what your priorities are and how much risk you are willing to take.  Remember, though, that a large inventory (espcially one with a few huge folders) can create login problems and may actually increase your risk of lost inventory.  If you really want to save backup copies in world, you might be better off giving them to your alt to hold onto, if they are transferable.

You can back up anything that you yourself create.

You can't back up No Copy items, either in world or on your computer's hard drive.

You can back up No Transfer items in your inventory in world, or you can put a copy into a box and store it on land you own or have rights to keep objects on.  You can't back these items up to a folder on your computer's hard drive.

Most of us simply rely on LL to keep their inventory servers well oiled and backed up.  Occasionally, this can result in the loss of some items, but in general LL's servers are pretty safe.  Mostly.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.