Looking for script, or texture. SL map related.

Deltac Sorbet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have you ever seen a region on the map that was just one color?  This commonly happens when the owner or someone has put up a sim surround landscape.  They are huge sculpts that make your sim look larger then they are, but have the nasty side effect of covering up the sim picture in the map because sculpties don't rez in the map picture.

Well, for awhile I've been going to Mille feuille, home of 1942 aircraft manufacturer.  It wasn't till recently I noticed something strange.  They have a sim surround, yet on the map, I can see part of the sim, and I can see through the letters.  I decided to investigate this.  Instead of having olive green prims set up to say 1942 (with the 9 messed up), it is instead several invisible prims with scripts in them.

It's not the "make the avatar invisible" script many avatar makers use to hide the avatar.  It's something else, and I have no clue.  The creator, 8Noah8 Rieko, isn't online frequently, so there goes asking her.  Pretty sure I'd never get a response anyway since I speak English, and she speaks Japanese.

So what I'm asking is what is this script and how do you do it?  It's a pretty useful script, but I can't find it on the marketplace (maybe because it's not labeled properly >.>)  

it's very likely it is the old version of the invisiprim script... which simply swapped between the two known invisiprim textures...

as for how they managed to get a region surround without it shoowing on the map tile?

there could be 3 ways...

the actual prim center for the surround is off to the side of the region and cut, or above 500m (I think that's where it needs to be), or possibly hollowed....

I forgot one... they grabed a texture of their region map tile and used that, but that would only show for the main map and not the mini map.

either that or they've discered something the rest of us haven't figure out yet.... lik a size at which the surround doesn't register.

Mystery solved! No need for script. Just apply once the invisiprim texture, set transparency to 100%. This has no effect on prims or avatars in-world but it will punch holes on the map into prims that would appear otherwise. Apparently, there is no need to use a texture with alpha to have holes. The only thing I do not know is how "deep" these holes are. Since prims are visible below, they must not reach the ground.

it the prims show up when you enable highlight transparent (ctrl+alt+t) then they definitely have alpha set, but no way to be sure of the underlying texture. it they don't show up then it's the normal invisiprim texture, without transparency set.

I can't remember if you need the develop meu enabled to use that command in v2 or not.

Good work everyone, we have managed to solve this mystery.  hmm, should I say good work, gang?  x3

summary:

Problem:  Sim surrounds tend to hide the ground level in the World Map picture of the sim.

Solution:  Take a 256x256x.5 mega prim, place it at around 350 meters up, use a script on this page to get set the texture to the invisible texture that hides avatars and alpha textures ( http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Invisiprim ), And then set the prims transparency to 100%, or close to 100, doesn't matter.

After the next map update (happens daily), you should now see your sim :D

so you don't have to bother with setting the alpha or phantom separately...

default{	state_entry(){		llSetLinkPrimitiveParams( LINK_SET,		                          [PRIM_PHANTOM, TRUE,		                           PRIM_COLOR, ALL_SIDES, ZERO_VECTOR, 0.0,		                           PRIM_TEXTURE, ALL_SIDES, "38b86f85-2575-52a9-a531-23108d8da837", ZERO_VECTOR, ZERO_VECTOR, 0.0] );		llRemoveInventory( llGetScriptName() );	}}

• 6 years later...

The invisiprim script itself is still dead, as far as I know  So, if you are depending on it, you're probably out of luck.  You might try simply applying a default Full Transparency texture (from the Library in your inventory) to the megaprim, though, and using Alpha Masking with a cutoff > 0 .  I think that you just need to place that prim above about 300m, if memory serves me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.