Opinions on my new work?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a music producer and I'm looking to get my name out in SL. If you own a venue or are a DJ or producer and would like to hook up with me in any way, let me know! An in-game IM would be the quickest way to contact me.

This is my newest song, Turmoil. It's still a work in progress.

Turmoil

And another, in the same style. Also still a work in progress. Updated 04/01/2011

Imagine

I did this for a game I play called EVE Online.

Warp Drive Active

I appreciate any comments and opinions. You can check out my other music here.

Perhaps you will get some interest with your post.  Have you gone to some of the SL clubs where electronic music is played?  Such places as:

The 8th Element

SLeek

Woods

Deep Space Transmissions

SOL House Music

The Edge (at Inspire Space)

United Beats - Code 415

Listen to the DJs that play and strike up a conversation.  Good luck!

Hmmm... something about the reverb seems to obliterate the separation between the component parts of the sound into an overall 'soupiness'. I say reverb, but I could well be wrong there. You have a choppy comping sound in at the intro which seems to continue throughout the piece yet loses all definition once the main melody kicks in. You've got the makings of a very interesting piece there. Keep at it.

Warp Drive and New Eden seem to be better defined tracks. Possibly because the drums [esp. Kikck] are well separated out. I tend to keep lower register sounds fairly dry unless there's *alot* of space around them. I've found it helps with defining a piece of music even for someone such as myself who habitually mixes drums and percussion low in the mix.

Both songs have nice melodies, and good composition imho. Before we begin... i listen to lots of hiphop and produce house music so bear that in mind... my idea of what good mastering is, is very biased towards that kind of sound. So my advice could be good, or it could be worthless, depending what the goal is for your work. A great mastered track for me would be Thomas Schumacher - Slow, or Picanha by the same artist for example. 

Turmoil: nice intro, mysterious feel... wow reminds me of playing deus ex! Nice, effortless musicality! Ok, but the snare needs more impact, it has to be a bit more centered in the mix, kick drum too. Stereo image in general is nice for the other elements. The strings are nice, very wide in the stereo image, they never intrude.... good job. But the snares... maybe you were looking for a more ethereal feel? The hihats, cymbal and so on seem to be muddy, they would benefit from being separated from the strings sounds. The frequencies seem to overlap at moments, the cymbal specially seems to be clipping even? The song begins and doesn't really have a quieter moment in between all the action... but maybe you feel it doesnt need a quiet part to contrast with the intensity. Oh, but it ends too abruptly!

Imagine: Wow, really love how it begins, like a rainy night, thunderstorms, horses running in the night. Really nice! Ah, the snare needs to be centered too... hmmmm perhaps it's a stylistic choice for your music? More ethereal drums, not really in your face. Hihats too seem gritty. hmmmm this has a quieter part :) Good buildup, and we continue...it's really dramatic! Oh no, but it ends too abruptly... made me think of someone racing to the rescue, but then it ends and I imagine he/she was too late. Too abrupt! Or perhaps very fitting ending if to reveal a shocking scene at the end. I would make the ending a little bit longer.

The melodies are good in both tracks, they work and do not get boring, there is enough variation, but it seems there's too much going on all the time! Really great intros on both tracks, intense and driving. Would work great as videogame music or, if other instruments were used, as soundtracks for animation. Your style is very... well, the complete opposite of minimalistic music, you have lots of elements in the mix going for most of the time. Strings, base, main synth, drums ... all hitting constantly... It's very intense, and perhaps it's your style too. Very maximalist (i guess you could call it?) music.

Both tracks need more mastering imho, the snare, kick and hihats specially ...what software are you using? I would experiment with the hipass and lowpass filters a bit more, find a frequency analyzer and see where the elements peak and go from there :)

my 2 cents

Thank you for putting so much thought into your analysis of these two songs. It seems like you went through so much trouble, so it makes this even harder to say... Neither of those tracks are mastered, or even complete. lol

They're both rough drafts of ideas that popped into my head. I just adjusted the levels a little and threw em on soundcloud as works in progress, to be updated later. But now, with your careful analysis, I'll have a better idea of where to center those updates. :)

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.