What are the common abuse have you or many of the residents encountered on Second Life?

lilprairiedawn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the 4 years I have stayed on Second Life, one of the abuses I have encountered has got to be Griefing and slapping me or my friends with the SL TOS which is really weird. I do expect a lot of people to have genuine respect and common sense when it comes to interacting with others, but there are some who just loves to find fault in what you do. 

Share your experiences here or the abuse you find is common on Second life :

My sl has mostly been trouble free....only problem I remember that I reported to LL was an annoying  'thing'  that shouted foul words all day and all night. Eventually they got it removed. 

On the whole people I meet are kind and helpful and enjoying sl as I am.

lilprairiedawn wrote:

one of the abuses I have encountered has got to be Griefing and slapping me or my friends with the SL TOS which is really weird. I do expect a lot of people to have genuine respect and common sense when it comes to interacting with others, but there are some who just loves to find fault in what you do. 

just responding to this line... IF you break TOS people have the fullest right to report you, your opnion that you can break TOS as you please, even when you think common sence is leading, isn't relevant.

If you don't agree you have to decline TOS and leave sl.

To Alwin Alcott, I never said that I break TOS as I please ... I am a very responsible person in the community .. please read my statement before quoting me. You are irrelevant. 

To  CheriColette, Thank you for the response. I do hear that a lot too .  It could be annoying but sometimes, I just TP out of the sim when that happens. Merry Xmas to you btw. 

When there is an object somewhere on the Sim that is spouting foul words or generally spamming Nearby Chat, you can quickly make it shut up using these steps:

1. Scroll the Nearby Chat window up a few lines. That will make it stop automatic scrolling so you can find a chat line from the offending object.
  2. Place your mouse cursor over the Name portion of the chat line so that the cursor changes to the Hand icon. Figure 1 below shows an object with a long name, Figure 2 shows an object with the name ":" (a single colon character).
  3. Click on the name and an Object Info window will appear. This window allows you to instantly block the object AND also block the Owner of the object. Figure 3 below shows an example for the object named ":".

This info applies to Firestorm but should either be identical or very similar in other SL Viewers. Basically you don't have to leave the Sim or weed through a bunch of objectionable text to read what people are saying. You have all the tools you need to make the object shut up .. quickly and permanently.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

lilprairiedawn wrote:

one of the abuses I have encountered has got to be Griefing and slapping me or my friends with the SL TOS which is really weird. I do expect a lot of people to have genuine respect and common sense when it comes to interacting with others, but there are some who just loves to find fault in what you do. 

just responding to this line... IF you break TOS people have the fullest right to report you, your opnion that you can break TOS as you please, even when you think common sence is leading, isn't relevant.

If you don't agree you have to decline TOS and leave sl.

I believe what the OP was trying to say was not that they can break the ToS, but that they've been threatened with being reported for it when they've done nothing wrong.... which isn't actually uncommon at all in SL.  Of course, that doesn't make you irrelevant as a person.... it just makes your reply irrelevant to that which the OP had actually written.

...Dres  (Plus, spell check is your friend.)

Bree Giffen wrote:

The most common abuse I'd have to say is that people create badly shapen avatars and wear the worst clothing imaginable. It's almost criminal the way they look.

Check out who they are in real life. I think you will discover a new appreciation for their (beautiful in all ways by comparison) online avatars.

Just general ignorance and stupidity by people that do not realise this is an international community and think SL revolves around their little time zone, religion, holidays and ideology.

Other than that I find I am more fluent in English than the people causing trouble and  although English is not my first language and in most cases it is their only language I make them feel sufficiently stupid and quite insulted and in return they have the good sense to leave me alone. The keyboard is mightier than the microphone :smileyhappy:

WuShin wrote:

The keyboard is mightier than the microphone

Maybe so, but a picture is worth a thousand words.  In which case, here's my thesis...

...Dres *simply amazes himself with his ability to find any excuse to post this ridiculous pic... no matter how nonsensical*

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't suffered any abuse in Second Life, outside of public sandboxes I suppose. Even then, getting slapped around by some script in a public sandbox or private land is easily remedied by leaving.

The irony is that peope think I'm abusing THEM by walking around on their land, or opening up their virtual fridge to 'get a sandwich", or sitting in their favoruite living room chair (dressed as a tiny meerkat with a tie, pipe and top hat) and just looking at them all cute like.  I guess the humour is lost on many... because SL is so serious.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.