After Win10 "update" I get "We can't fill in your username and password." in both SL and FS viewers.

axel Svenson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

It appears Microsoft has done it again. Has anyone else experienced this? Any idea where my username/password config files may have been moved to? 

I think they used to reside in C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife

Alwin: I did not do a new install of either the SL or Firestorm viewers. Microsoft did indeed do something with this latest patch. Both viewers as well as at least one other application were running without issues prior to this

KarenMichelle: thanks for your explanation but exactly which "fine print" are you referring to? The viewers or Win 10? Since Win 10 autoinstalls updates without user input I never see any documentation regarding sub-standard methods for encryption of .dat files. I assure you I have not jumped to any conclusions bizarre or otherwise. The fact is that several applications (not just SL) are no longer able to read config files and it's my responsibility to fix an issue I did not cause. I'm not surprised merely annoyed :)

5 answers to this question

OK...Let's not jump to bizarre conclusions. During the Microsoft 10 update process some encryption methods for cookies and for auto-fill fields is found to be below the current industry standards. This is when the old information becomes inaccessible and you need to repopulate it again. Nothing more and nothing less.

This is mentioned in the various fine print everyone is too in a hurry to read.

The encrypted and protected login data is not stored in C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife. Only the viewer caches and logs are stored there.

You have a .dat support file for your application software encrypted field data that the OS maintains on behalf of your account. As much of this previous datastore that can be converted is converted. The remainder causes the message you saw to be issued prompting you for the original login credentials for SL.

Additionally, data corruption can occur  over time in the account .dat files. When damaged data is encountered during the conversion/upgrade process of the .dat file it is bypassed.

Your login credentials for the LL viewer are stored in the bin_conf.dat file located in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings.

bin_conf.dat is encrypted using your machine ID. The viewer uses WMI to get your machine ID.

If you update to Windows 10 from an earlier version of Windows or after some of the bigger Windows 10 updates (like Threshold 2), your machine ID will be changed. Nothing you can do about that, blame Microsoft  ;)

If your machine ID has changed, the viewer login credentials cannot be decrypted. So its totally normal for the viewer not to be able to decode your login credentials in this case. Once you have logged in once though, your login credentials should then be saved with your new machine ID so you should only see this problem for each account once.

If your login credentials continue to fail to decode, then something else is wrong.

You said other programs were also affected.  Any program that encrypts data with your machine ID will have the same problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3047 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.