Project Bento Feedback Thread

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've only recently been noticing trouble with existing avatars that were animating volume bones as eyelids, tails, or back legs of centaurs. Those bones don't seem to want to animate out of position any more; they appear to reset after each animation. This may be related to the issue you're having. 

Teager wrote:

I've only recently been noticing trouble with existing avatars that were animating volume bones as eyelids, tails, or back legs of centaurs. Those bones don't seem to want to animate out of position any more; they appear to reset after each animation. This may be related to the issue you're having. 

Teager, is this avatar you were wearing at the Bento UG using that method on the eyelids?

I was certainly seeing your lids broken on the Bento viewer & reset skeleton didnt fix it.

Quick video: https://i.gyazo.com/734f99df7e14321cdfd504977e256905.mp4

Tried Gaia's/Matrice's workaround for Avastar, moving bones back into place manually as the transfer tool doesn't work in this case. Was tedious work but I managed, and it APPEARS to have fixed the issues with the lips collapsing and the head scaling and the eyelids (cheers!). With a reset skeleton in-world and no animations, it looks as it should.

The only thing that concerns me is the small shift in all of the bones when storing the joint edits, as mentioned in the tutorial. I can't continue to animate when the joints are offset, even a little. So I suppose I'll wait on a fix for that for now.

I have a quick question, but I'm not sure whether the behaviour is intentional and whether it is a product of changes to the skeleton exclusively of whether it is a Blender Avastar problem: It appears that the entire avatar now rotates when PelvisInv or mPelvis are rotated, rather than affecting only the vertices rigged to mPelvis. It used to be that you could rotate PelvisInv or mPelvis to provide slight adjustments in the hip angle for animations, without negatively affecting other bone rotations/positions. Is this change intentional, and if so, 1) what alternatives should people be rigging to and 2) how might this affect older content which did rely upon mPelvis animating only verts around it, rather than acting as a parent for other bones?

I've now tried the fix proposed by Gaia and Matrice five times, and gotten five different results. Clearly this thing does not get along with a more nonstandard skeleton. I think I too will be waiting for a more definitive fix.

https://i.gyazo.com/8667e14826ae8934fb29569b98d2136a.gif

Anyone else experiencing this behaviour with name-tags & Bento?

While this is somewhat cute, positioning of the nametag is not ideal. it doesn't really seem like the tag is rigged to the head, av center or even skull, so is there a way I can avoid this odd placement? it is rather distracting. I would have thought the nametag should maintain position directly below the voice dot, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. 

• Lindens

Hi Aki,

The nametag positioning logic hasn't changed for Bento. The function (idleUpdateNameTagPosition() in llvoavatar.cpp, for the coding enthusiasts out there) looks at both the root joint position and the mHead position to determine when an adjustment is needed. Haven't had a chance to review the code in detail, so I can't tell you much about how to get exactly the desired position.

I would not consider the position of the mHead bone out of the ordinary in this case, but based on the behaviour I'm seeing, the nametag is hovering somewhere in the snout area. 

Here's a cleaned up snapshot of mHead as it relates to this avatar:

The av *does* make some use of face bones, but I have omitted them in this shot because based on your reply, they are not relevant. 

I wrote a long reply and just as I posted authentication failed so here goes again. The name tag is on the mSkull. Try moving it up in edit mode to be as high as a human one (1.75 metres) See the pictures below to see the difference. Moving it also has the advantage that the height of the feet on the ground does not need to be adjusted. 

• Like 3

Hi!

Could you please add the bento av a full body size parameter/variable? That would make avatar size change much easier. I especially expect if it could increase/decrease the size till target value like this:

Three variables: size, growth/shrinkth speed and target size

If target size < size

subtract growth/shrinkth speed from size (or set size=size-growth/shrinkth speed)

If target size > size

add growth/shrinkth speed to size (or set size=size+growth/shrinkth speed)

So the growth/shrinkth would be smooth and noticeable instead of instant

I know it's super late to be bringing this up, but I am finding trouble with the positioning of the overlapping joints like mFacelLipUpper and Lower joints. Also the extra spine joints,

I know I can move the joints to more convenient locatoins for myself, but I am trying to keep in mind working with the standard so that people can buy other animations that will work with my model.

I think would have been helpful to have the joints in the face and spine that are currently overlapping have their own positions for the sake of having a standard for the spine joint locations that make more sense, but also because having joints overlap makes copying and mirrioring skin weights a pain as it tends to copy or mirrior weights to the wrong joints.  I know how to workaround this, but just be a lot easier to hit one button and be done with it than to have to transfer skin weights to the correct joints every time. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.