Cycles - Jagged Edges on Baking

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"I add the texture layout to the model in Blender"

There are several possible ways of doing that. Can you give more detail? Are you adding it via nodes in cycles? As a texture supplying a Blender material? Or simply opening it in the UV editor? The solution may depend on which of these you are doing.

A bit more info as others seemed as stumped as I.

It is not a bad UV unwrapping.

It is not that one book (what would make the jagged shadow) is too close and touching the book beneath it.

The jagged shadow that seemingly should be smooth comes from a book placed on top of another (but again not touching). And it SEEMS like it should be a smooth as the other edges. The only difference and what I have noted in the past also is that the edges are at a diagonal.

That's all I know. It may just be "how it is" and that's OK but would like to know if there is a fix.

Are you sure they aren't overlapping? The only way I can reproduce this effect is with two blocks just overlapping (because one is tilted.) Then the edges where they overlap look jaggy. In fact, looking at 4x in Gimp, the jaggies are only one pixel wide. The reason the appear there and not elsewhere is that the overlapped part pf the image is totally black, with no anti-aliasing. Other edges have the random noise from the sampling used for the AO, and that has a smoothing effect that makes them look anti-aliased. In that case, since the black part is not going to be visible, you can soften the edge using the smudge tool, inwards into the black. That might hide the effect if it shows on the final object.

Here's the example, at 4x. You can see the jags are one pixel wide.

Here's the point where the overlap ends, and the jaggy edge turns into pseudo-antialiased edge.

(Done with Blender Render ao bake - don't know if the same happens with Cycles).

OK. Editing this for brevity and more info as my early morning reply was incorrect. The master was of course right :D and even though I had checked that twice .......

Went back and looked AGAIN and turned on wireframe and found THE VERTICE that was causing all the issue. Shakes head here.   Fixed and will remember in the future. It is odd how much differently Blender Render and Cycles treats the issue.

And to answer your question the jagged effect is much more pronounced and notiable in cycles and does a FOUR pixel (that's a guess) jag. I was wondering what your one pixel remark was about until I saw your not on Blender Render on the second read through. 

So yes, same issue just much more noticable in Cycles.

Thanks again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.