Sign in to follow this  
Wandering Soulstar

Shadows and Prim altitude

Question

I doubt that it's a fixed height.  In fact, I know it's not.  I was just on a region with a large sky platform about 150m off the ground.  It has a huge shadow, but I have seen softball sized objects that don't cast a shadow when they are only a meter or so above the surface.  That's the way things work in RL, so it's what we should expect intuitively.  There are some interesting notes in http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Deferred_Rendering_Test  that might help make sense of the way tshadows were designed in SL.  In particular, notice the line that says, "Faces which are far from the camera (approx 256 meters+) will not receive shadows. As they approach this distance, the received shadows should quickly fade away to zero effect. This can be tested by setting your draw distance to 300m and slowly pulling your camera back from the world by hundreds of meters"

• Like 1

1 answer to this question

I doubt that it's a fixed height.  In fact, I know it's not.  I was just on a region with a large sky platform about 150m off the ground.  It has a huge shadow, but I have seen softball sized objects that don't cast a shadow when they are only a meter or so above the surface.  That's the way things work in RL, so it's what we should expect intuitively.  There are some interesting notes in http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Deferred_Rendering_Test  that might help make sense of the way tshadows were designed in SL.  In particular, notice the line that says, "Faces which are far from the camera (approx 256 meters+) will not receive shadows. As they approach this distance, the received shadows should quickly fade away to zero effect. This can be tested by setting your draw distance to 300m and slowly pulling your camera back from the world by hundreds of meters"

• Like 1