Script memory loss on drag-copy

DavidThomas Scorbal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Checking if this is still The Way Things Are (tm) ...

If I drag-copy a scripted object, the original object (the one still sitting in the same position) has its script memory reset, correct? And the new copy that sits where I end the drag, that one now has the script memory of the original object?

Is there no way for script memory to survive a drag-copy? (other than the obvious of "don't do that")

Thanks

When you make a copy, the script in the copy is reset. Counter intuitively, the original is the one you drag. You can make it so the settings stored in the script are instead stores in a notecard, and the script accesses that on reset.

DavidThomas Scorbal wrote:

Checking if this is still The Way Things Are ...

If I drag-copy a scripted object, the original object (the one still sitting in the same position) has its script memory reset, correct? And the new copy that sits where I end the drag, that one now has the script memory of the original object?

Is there no way for script memory to survive a drag-copy? (other than the obvious of "don't do that")

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Another reason the drag copy works the way it does...  Since the original is the one that moves when you drag copy, its history stays intact (recent positions, scales and rotations) and can be cycled through via CTRL-Z (undo) and CTRL-Y (redo).  This comes in handy, for instance, when you need to move the prim/object back to its previous position after making a drag copy.  Each prim/object keeps track of its own history, which can be scrolled through using undo and redo keyboard shortcuts.

DavidThomas Scorbal wrote:

Strange that the original is considered the one that you move ...

There is a relatively easy way to work around that: Copy-drag, move the copy out of the way, select original and use ctrl-Z to snap it back into place.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.