Black Spots - Baking Sampling

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I have never had these black spots before but I have had fireflies and more or less have eliminated them with lighting changes and some changes in the lighting perameters.

While I can certainly fix them in my graphic's software easy enough I would really like to understand more about the choices in the render tab like volume sampling and post processing "dither"? etc. I read the official manual but there isn't really enough explanitory info there for me.

Does anyone know an article or a video that covers this? Thanks.  NOT necessarily the black spot thing but in general getting your bakes as good as they can be. And yes, the texture did get resized smaller for REAL use :D.

Thank you. Happy with it but  ---- :D

I don't think it is normals or double faces as the mesh appears very clean when rezzed and when I have had those issues in the past it was pretty obvious there was an ISSUE!!!  :D. It renders perfectly in the render view. Nothing the least bit tricky about the build. Very little manipulation which sometimes leads to those issues -- at least in my experience.

Workflow - plane subdivided, cloth simulater used and simulation baked, solidify modifier added, mapped. All with amost no manipulation of the mesh itself.

Most spots are 3 x 3 pixels but a few are just one pixel. Very odd.   The item TEXTURES fine. It is just the texture render that is messed up.

I fixed the texture in my graphics software and it looks perfect -- but of course there was an issue so I would really like to know what to do about that.  

It was made in cycles which is probably obvious and rendered at 250.  

I am going to add another screenshot in case I don't understand what you are trying to tell me. I pretty much did nothing but drop the cloth, bake the simulation and add a solidify modifer so it doesn't SEEM like those are likely causes, but still.

Backface culling is on.

And here it is with the textures worked on in graphics. You can see that the mesh TOOK the textures correctly..  This is a 512 texture so it isn't as clear as the previous photo.

OK. I think I have the answer (or someone else did on another forum :D) for the black spots.  The solidify modifier (I used the default setting) wasn't thick enough for some of the bending areas. The black spots show up in a Blender Render ambient map also and if you look in solid view (I don't use that often in Cycles Render) you can see that there are quite a few MORE places with "issues" (darker areas where one side is apparently touching the other.

So making the cloth thicker next time would be good.

MEANWHILE I would still be interested in learning more about the baking perameters and what they actually do if someone can point me somewhere. Thanks.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.