CPU usage

Casanovarose96

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hiya newbie here,

So I started playing this game about 5-6 days ago, and I LOVE it. However I noticed that when I play on my Veiwer, it seems to use alot of my CPU and my fan starts working hard to keep my laptop cool, making it sound like a have a tiny jet fighter in my bedroom. This is probelm also continues after I have closed the window but the noise and CPU usage would decrease. The problem only goes away when I turn my laptop on and off again, but to do that every time would be such a mssive hassle, I was wondering what I could do to end any background processess that remain after quiting the 2Nd life viewer.

Thanks for your help guys,

Casanovarose96 (AmazonIndia)

'Cause you're using a laptop. Is physics.

Heavy workload, lots of rendering and fast-moving data are all highly intensive electrical operations. They will generate a lot of heat, and when you're using a small device with very little cooling ability and small/inadequate fans, this will end poorly. All that heat has to go somewhere, so it will heat the internals of your device. This results in shorter lifetime for components, more failures, often a reduced lifetime of the device as a whole.

When the laptop is off, its internal temperature can reduce to the ambient levels in your room. This is better for it (cooler is always better), but if our laptop isn't allowed to cool down before being powered back up then you're risking decreasing longevity further.

I don't really have recommendations for you since you don't talk about any of the background processes you have running (or the hardware). All I got is what you talk about and you don't mention much about how efficient your system is already or what it's running. Additional performance may be possible (slightly, but I doubt it will improve cost efficiency) with some software optimisation but largely, laptops are never designed for sustained use of highly intensive processes.

Some really high-end laptops are more capable at 3D rendering than the standard fare, but none are good at running cool. There's not enough room for this inside the tiny case. I would expect that you're not running a high-end laptop, in any case.

If you can accept a slight performance reduction of SL but want to keep a quieter laptop that won't cook itself, you can set a debug setting in the viewer called YieldTime to somewhere between about 20 to 100.

Debug settings are in the menu once you've enabled advanced settings and developer settings, Google because I'm only replying on my phone and don't have the viewer handy for newbie friendly advice.

What YieldTime does is reduce CPU use because it yields for the set number of milliseconds without doing anything hence the reduction in SL performance slightly.

Start at 20 and go up in 20's. If you don't like the result, just reduce or set it back to -1 (disabled).

This assumes that the fan ports aren't blocked and that other air intakes aren't blocked and that this setting isn't masking a general cooling problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.