Linden Labs made pending payments of $1 for each attempt I made to use my credit card?

shadecity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

shadecity wrote:

[ .... ]  Or is it simply an 
authorization so that Linden Labs can confirm my account and/or credit card company is valid?

Exactly.  That's standard practice for many companies, including Linden Lab..  Any account you establish with Linden Lab has to meet two requirements: (1) it must be verified and (2) it must be capable of sending and receiving money instantly.  When you register a credit card, Linden Lab tests the first condition by verifying with the card issuer that you have a valid acount.  To test the second condition, they issue a $1 charge against your card and then immediately reverse it so that the money goes right back.  If both transfers succeed, your card is accepted.  If not -- as would be the case if you used a prepaid card, a gift card, or most debit cards -- the card is rejected.  In that case, it takes a little while for the reversed $1 charge to be completed because your card can't make the transfer instantaneously.  It may show as "pending" for a day or two.  Unfortunately, some residents will try submitting the same card several times, even after it has been rejected, so they'll have more than one transaction pending until everything clears.

• Like 1

1 answer to this question

shadecity wrote:

[ .... ]  Or is it simply an 
authorization so that Linden Labs can confirm my account and/or credit card company is valid?

Exactly.  That's standard practice for many companies, including Linden Lab..  Any account you establish with Linden Lab has to meet two requirements: (1) it must be verified and (2) it must be capable of sending and receiving money instantly.  When you register a credit card, Linden Lab tests the first condition by verifying with the card issuer that you have a valid acount.  To test the second condition, they issue a $1 charge against your card and then immediately reverse it so that the money goes right back.  If both transfers succeed, your card is accepted.  If not -- as would be the case if you used a prepaid card, a gift card, or most debit cards -- the card is rejected.  In that case, it takes a little while for the reversed $1 charge to be completed because your card can't make the transfer instantaneously.  It may show as "pending" for a day or two.  Unfortunately, some residents will try submitting the same card several times, even after it has been rejected, so they'll have more than one transaction pending until everything clears.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.