If you are permanently banned without reason are you safely able to make another account?

tweekchan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi there! Hopefully this is being asked in the correct spot and is titled correctly.

I was permanently banned without reason about a month ago along with a friend of mine who was banned WITH reason. I believe that Linden Labs had considered my account to be an alt of hers because she and I live in the same city and stay at each others homes.

I had contacted Linden Labs via support tickets and through phone calls to explain my situation.

In my support tickets the only response I got was that my account and all alts would be permanently closed ( no reason given ) and that the support case was "solved" and thus closed as well.

In my calls with them, all that was told to me was that I had to make more support tickets and wait. But my last call with them they had told me that my account shouldn't of been closed down permanently and I had done nothing wrong but that they were unable to fix the mistake they had made and so there was nothing more I could do.

My real question is does this mean I shouldn't bother ever trying to remake a new account? If they're trying to flush out any alt accounts in relation to her account does that mean any account I ever try to start up will be banned because it's considered an "alt" account?

My friend had lost a new account she made three weeks after her first ban and I'm worried about spending any money or time on second life because my new account just might be closed as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing I am unable to answer my own question, but as a follow up. What do you mean by "until this matter is settled." Does that mean it is "settled" when my account is reopened or when they have found my account to be "guilty"

I already got this as a reply to one of my cases.

"Thank you for contacting Linden Lab. After conducting a thorough review, Linden Lab has determined this account has violated the Second Life Terms of Service. Regretfully, we have determined this account and all alternate accounts will be permanently closed."

Does this mean they have stopped looking into my account and it's okay to make another account? Or does this mean they have banned my IP and I am never able to rejoin second life? Or does this mean they are still going to look into it?

Sorry to ask all these questions and to use so much detail. I just didn't get a lot of information from Linden Labs directly. The way they sounded on the phone made it seem like they were still doing something with my account but in their response to my support ticket it sounds like it's all done.

----------------------------------------------

Okay! Alright, thank you so much. You have been very helpful. <3

3 answers to this question

We are all SL residents like you.  Lindens never come to this resident-to-resident Answers site, and we have no power at all to look into your account.  The best we can do is to refer you to the TOS, Sect 5.2, which says, "Linden Lab may suspend or terminate your Account if you violate this Agreement, along with any or all other Accounts held by you or otherwise related to you, as determined by Linden Lab in its discretion, and your violation of this Agreement shall be deemed to apply to all such Accounts. Upon termination of your Accounts, this Agreement between us will be automatically terminated and you may not re-subscribe or return to the Service through other or future Accounts you or others may set up. "  That doesn't tell you anything more than you already know, unfortunately, and it doesn't offer any insight about your personal situation.  You will need to either continue submitting support cases and being patient, or try sending a letter directly to Linden Lab, 945 Battery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111.  The one thing that you should not do is open another account until this matter is settled.  If you do that, you will clearly be violating that last sentence quoted above, and that alone would be a reason for a permanent ban. 

tweekchan wrote:[ .... ]

What do you mean by "until this matter is settled." Does that mean it is "settled" when my account is reopened or when they have found my account to be "guilty"

I already got this as a reply to one of my cases.

"Thank you for contacting Linden Lab. After conducting a thorough review, Linden Lab has determined this account has violated the Second Life Terms of Service. Regretfully, we have determined this account and all alternate accounts will be permanently closed."

Does this mean they have stopped looking into my account and it's okay to make another account? Or does this mean they have banned my IP and I am never able to rejoin second life? Or does this mean they are still going to look into it?

Sorry to ask all these questions and to use so much detail. I just didn't get a lot of information from Linden Labs directly. The way they sounded on the phone made it seem like they were still doing something with my account but in their response to my support ticket it sounds like it's all done.

By "until this matter is settled", I mean "until you have a satisfactory answer to your question and Linden Lab says that it's OK to open a new account."  If you are banned and try to make a new acccount, then all hope of any sort of appeal is gone, because you have violated the TOS again by opening a new account while you are banned. Until you know that you aren't banned, you are in limbo and should not open a new account.  I cannot do anything more than guess beyond that, because I am only another SL resident, just like you.  The only way that you will get the answer you seek is to communicate directly with Linden Lab, in writing.  As I said earlier, you may either do that with a support case or by writing to the Lab in San Francisco.

• Like 1

I agree with Rolig.  I notice that you are saying that you have gotten two different responses from LL.  One is the written form email that you quoted, which basically says you are permanently banned, please don't come back ever.  The other is the reply you paraphrased, in which LL admitted to you that they made a mistake.

Before you create another account, I would get that second response in writing from LL, if all you have so far is a phone conversation.  Explain that you want a record of it, so that you know you won't get in trouble if you create a new account and return to SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.