FPS low on one parcel vs. everywhere else? Low prims on parcel.

Primrose Huntsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a 512m^2 plot of land that has a few items on it and the FPS is extremely low.  The most I can get out of it is about 13-15 FPS.  When I fly up directly above the parcel, the FPS go up and I don't have this problem anywhere else in SL.  When I first bought the land, it was fine, and I put several items on it.  Fine for 3-4 days with those few items (a pond, hammock and blanket as well as a few of the stock trees and ferns from the Inventory Library, about 20 land impact).  I put several more items on last night, mostly landscaping, to finish the plot.  The highest land impact I had was 63 and I had no problems.  When I went back to the parcel this morning, that's when it was super laggy.  I took nearly all of the items off, increased my cache, lowered my draw distance and increased my bandwidth, all to no avail.  I've also rebaked the region when prompted to do so and logged in and out of SL a few times.

What could cause this heavy of a lag?  Could it be scripts, and if so, is there a way to disable/enable scripts for specific items on my land?  I'm puzzled because a) the problem started after installing landscaping, and I am not seeing any scripts running in the objects, and b) it was fine when I first installed everything, but now even with everything out, it's still laggy.

Thanks in advance for any help!

3 answers to this question

One thing you can be sure of is that scripts are not the problem.  Scripts can not lag a region.  When the servers are prioritizing how to spend available time, they always give scripts the lowest priority, so if the servers run out of free time to do all their tasks, they steal time from scripts.  Thus, scripts can lag each other, but not anything else.

Open your Statistics Bar (CTRL + Shift + 1) and look at how server time is being used.  In most regions, avatars use the greatest amount of server resources.  The more avatars in a region (not just your parcel), the more drag there is on server time, and the greater your chance of lag.  Physical objects are also a potential drag.  The more effort that the physics engine has to spend moving things around and keeping them in the air, the greater the lag.  (I once visited a region that had almost nothing in it but a HUGE physical comet circling overhead.  I felt like I was walking in deep mud with cement shoes.)  After those Big Two everything else is usually trivial, but a region with a ton of high-rez textures can certainly kill performance.  I was in a very popular shop yesterday that had an appalling number of photos that never did rez properly, and was very laggy.

Read more at

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/lag

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_very_laggy

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Lag

• Like 2

wel hon it doesnt matter how big your land is - lag can be found any where....

Now things that CAN cause lag---

1. bright and glowy prims

2. textures on items/clothes/ hair etc that are high quality can lag (they take longer to render/load properly)

3.Its true that as u you are on the ground level u will lag more- that is that the server for the land (the full region) is on the ground level....and as you are HIGHER the lag is less....(because the servers are not in the air)

4. YOU - your avatar can lag a sim- if you have many HUDS/ao/highly scripted item (hair is the main culprit- and other resizeable items)...yes the scripts in them can add lag to you

5. Mega prims - especially things that are over 40mx40m - becuase the textures take longer to render/load

6.your graphic card and your computer.....might need to be updated (i updated my gaphic card TODAY and i have NO MORE LAG)

7. The sim itself needs to be restarted/debugged to clear its own cache....

8. SL might be having a bad day too....it happens where even us with the best computers have issues

9. things with SOUND aka SOUND explorers can cause lag

10. Accessing VOICE and OR MUSIC SETTINGS can cause lag....

11. Your internet speed is slower or you are on wifi which take LONGER for all these things in SL to render

All these use a bit of band width

SOme sugestions---
1.turn off voice in preferences CONTROL+P (sound and media)

2.Relog

3. Restart your modem/router and restart your computer to clear that cache there

4.update your graohics card

5. Check if your computer is calling  behidn in the  minimum requirements MIN SL REQUIREMENTS

6. You might have a viewer with a bug in it....if so do a CLEAN INSTALL--- how to do that is here >> CLEAN INSTALL FIRESTORM VIEWER

7. look for items that are glowy (taht really dont need it) and turn it  off in edit mode---if u can

I hope that helps

HUGS

• Like 1

I must take exception to one part of Lishadoya's excellent answer.  The server running the region is not "on the ground."  The server runs the entire region.  In fact, it's more correct to say that the region is "in the server."

The reason that you experience less lag at altitude is that you're not having to render all those textures that are visible at ground level.  In fact, rendering of anything on the ground stops at any altitude over 1000 meters, regardless of your draw distance.

I would suspect that your specific lag problem comes from textures.  If you can fully inspect the items on the ground, see if their textures are larger than 512 x 512 pixels.  It only takes a few 1024 x 1024 textures to create a noticeable increase in lag.  Also turn on transparent texture viewing with CTRL+ALT+T.  Look for any large, transparent objects.  If you see one, inspect it.  If a megaprim is made Physical, it can create a lot of lag from collision calculations...whether it's transparent or not.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3036 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.