Clear Cache.

Charolotte Caxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello all,

I have read several solutions to problems as Clear Cache. Indeed, this does solve some of my problems some of the time, and that's great. My question is, what are, if any, the hazards associated with Clearing Cache? i.e.., can it be done too much? Also, if I go to where my Cache is on my Hard Drive, would it be advisable to delete all those folders there?

p.s. What is Ruth, as in deruth? I've heard mention of and I think I grasp the general idea of what it is, like a textureless skin, right?

Clearing cache does absolutely no harm to you or your computer.  You can do as often as you like.

Yes, you can whack the cache files on your hard drive - they will just be recreated again.

The short story is the first avatars rezzed were called Ruth. Today is it referred to as the 'appearance' (ruthed) 

Read some history on Ruth - it's interesting -well it was to me anyway

• Like 1

You are likely to get conflicting answers on that question, because some people were taught to clear their cache like emptying their trash.

Your cache is there for a reason & personally I don`t think it should be cleared unless necessary & in fact can make some problems worse when it is done as a "fix-all" for every problem.

For example if someone is having certain login problems and they clear their cache, they then have the added problem of using more bandwidth to login which could compound the issue they started with.

• Like 2

I clean cache all the time. Clearing cache produces zero adverse ramifications. It is actually good habit to clear cache. Upon clearing cache more data is written instantly to these files. The only time it is not 'good' to clear cache would be when you perform the EXACT same thing everytime you log in (which of course NO one ever does.) It is only a temporary storage facility.

You don't cause any problems for yourself by clearing cache except that, as others have noted, your graphics card has to reload any textures that used to be in cache before as it sees them, so everything looks grey for a bit until that's done.  An argument could be made that you cause lag issues for other people when you log in after clearing cache, since you're using a fair amount of the sim's bandwidth for a short time as the asset servers reload your inventory.  That's one of the reasons for logging in on a vacant sim like Smith or Pooley -- that, and of course your inventory will load faster for you on a vacant sim.

• Like 1

Clearing your cache will not harm anything.  And yes you can safely delete the entire cache folder located on your hard drive..........in fact that is the preferred way to clear stubborn cache issues (in some circumstances multiple and repeated cache clearings are necessary........deleting the cache folder is a quicker and more thorough way).  I've heard the agruments about clearing your cache causing problems such as bandwidth issues or slowing others down due to you needing more bandwidth to load your cache again.  Neither is true.  If you have having bandwidth issues clearing your cache will not help........nor will it hurt.  As far as slowing others down while your cache reloads, that is simply false.......you will never recieve more bandwidth from the LL servers than the servers will deliver.  That bandwidth is distributed according to how many avatars the server must serve and how you have your preferences set for bandwidth (no matter how much bandwidth you tell the servers to send, they will never sacrifice the bandwidth of others for you.....they will only send as much as they can up to the limit you set in preferences).  The only difference you will notice is it will take a few seconds longer for things to rezz around you when first logging in or TPing to a familar place.  Once the cache is loaded you are right back where you were before you cleared it.  There is also a possibility that a cleared cache will actually speed up rezzing for you..........but only if you have a slow or full hard drive (if you have an empty cache folder your viewer will not have to spend the time searching before it downloading the new texture or object trying to rezz around you).  Clearing your cache is similar (probably identical) to clearing your browser cache, deleting cookies, or browser history in your browser...........harms nothing, might slow things down initially but overall speeds things up, and gives you fresh copies of everything to work with.

Ruth has been explained quite well, I think (especially with Marigold's picture :smileyhappy: ).  Deruth means to reload your shape and skin to "replace" Ruth.  Ruth is the basis for all of SL's avatars......female and male.  The "modern" version of Ruth is the particle cloud or mist that happens sometimes.  Clearing the cache seldom fixes a Ruthing problem......but sometimes it will (you will need to relog if it's going to work at all).  Rebaking works about half the time.  Putting on another shape or doing the avatar test almost always fixes the problem.

• Like 1

"I've heard the agruments about clearing your cache causing problems such as bandwidth issues or slowing others down due to you needing more bandwidth to load your cache again. Neither is true."

Simply this is not so. The simulator does have a limit to its throughput, and everything downloaded counts against that maximum throughput. Discarded cached data is data that must be transferred again, and counts against that maximum. And yes, if you need to download the data again, you have to download it again, and downloads cannot happen without bandwidth consumption. This is all pretty fundamental.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.