Different Avatar=Different lag level?

HaileyAddox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So recently I've noticed that when I am on my main avatar (this one), I'm incredibly laggy. She won't rez, her surroundings won't rez, I can't move, it's just horrendous. But when I log into an alt and go into the same places and stand in the same spot everything is completely fine. I've even gone to generally laggier places (clubs, shopping events, etc) on her rather than just standing at home and everything is still completely fine. I use firestorm so I'm not sure if i'm in the right place for this but I'm just wondering if it's just a coincidence or if there's something I can do to fix it? It's extremely inconvenient because it is my main and I would like to play in peace LOL

I have firestorm version 4.7.3 and play on a Mac.

Someone help please D:

Yes, there can be a huge difference. In extreme cases a single poorly assembled avatar can easily lag down a whole sim.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

have a look at the rendercost of both avatars,

That's easier said than done with Firestorm, they've hidden that function as well as they could in that viewer but it's not too difficult either:

If you haven't already, enable the Advanced menu (Preferences -> Advanced -> Show Advanced Menu).

Once it's enabled: Advanced -> Performance Tools -> Show Render Weight for Avatars.

• Anything below 50 000 is fine
  • 50 000-100 000 shouldn't be a serious problem
  • 100 000-150 000: Stay away from crowded places
  • 150 000-200 000: Nobody likes you
  • More than 200 000: Everybody hate you

Alwin Alcott wrote:

how's the inventory?..loaded or still fetching?

Easy to check: just type ctrl-I to open the inventory window and see if it's still loading. Lag caused by inventory loading is not permanent, it'll go away once your inventory is finished loading. That can take quite a while if you have lots of items there though. Or if you have connection problems - that can slow down inventory loading considerably but should show up with both alts. Otherwise:

• Less than 10 000 items: You shouldn't even notice the inventory loading
  • 10 000-50 000 items: No big deal
  • 50 000-100 000 items: A little bit of patience might be required
  • More than 100 000 items: Log on, go make yourself a cup of coffee or something and come back later

Alwin Alcott wrote:

wearing scripts

huds

The sim servers are much better at handling scripts than they used to be so script load is very rarely a serious issue these days. Even so, you don't want to load the poor server with more scripts than necessary so yes, it's definitely something everybody should check. And there is one special case: some recent mesh wearables use http requests to connect to external servers. That causes quite a bit of extra load on the server and may be a problem.

Easiest way to check:

1. Type ctrl-shift-1
  2. Scroll down to "Time" - the last item on the list that appears and click on it to open the detailed list.
  3. Take a quick glance at "Total Frame Time". If it's higher than 22-point-something, the server is overloaded.
  4. Then take a look at "Spare Time". If it keeps dropping down to 0, the server is right on the edge.
  5. You may also want to know how much scripts add to the load. That's the "Script Time" on the list of course - except that http request issue I mentioned - it will show up as "Net Time".

This check only shows the total load on the server, not how much your avatar adds to it. But it's still a quick and easy way to eliminate some possible explanations to the lag problem.

I hardly ever use Firestorm anymore so my configuration may be idiosyncratic, but I see Avatar / Avatar Health / Show Render Weight for Avatars. Unfortunately, there's no really easy way to get a list of render weight contributed by each attachment, and Oz shot down my feature request to make that a script call, so it's more or less trial-and-error, or rezzing the individual attachments on the ground in a sandbox and using the editor to assess their display weight.

Compared to render weight, it's much easier to get information about the scripting of individual attachments -- but that's easier to do by script than in the viewer. Still, using the viewer you can navigate to "About Land", pick "Script Info" and then use the Avatar tab to see the memory used by each attachment's scripts. Those reported memory statistics aren't the perfect measure of script load, but they're okay for rank-ordering the attachments for worst offenders.

There's no ideal metric of script load, but for attachments, raw script count is about as good as any. That's because usually attached scripts are only big trouble when an avatar first arrives in a sim and all those scripts compete for sim time to load and get slotted to run. Later on, total script time of attachments can matter to a crowded sim's performance, but even an empty sim will spike whenever an avatar arrives -- and the more scripts they wear, the longer that spike lasts.

Determining the total effect of scripts on sim lag is much harder than simply reading a number from sim statistics. To start, however, I look at the "Scripts Run" percentage. Unless it's consistently below 100%, there's no problem worth further investigation.

Qie Niangao wrote:

...but even an empty sim will spike whenever an avatar arrives -- and the more scripts they wear, the longer that spike lasts.

Digression: this is exactly why all the most popuar commercial vehicle script packages use as many separate scripts as they possibly can: to make the sim crossing as exciting and surprising as possible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3054 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.