why do i get message when logging in that preferences set to default?

CandyGinger Ristow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Each time I log into SL I get a messahe saying my preferences have been set to default. I have to go into my preferences each time and change them to how I like them...including sun position to sunset instead od regions default. Very tired of having to make these changes everyday...seems to have all started when I upgraded my computers to windows 10.

ALSO as of today when I try to change preferences I now simply get logged out of SL altogether...what is going on???

Please help me.

Regards, CandyGinger Ristow

5 answers to this question

That's an odd sort of message.  It almost sounds as if you have your viewer set in Safe Mode, where preferences are indeed automatically reset to default.  I am told that some third party viewers use safe mode if you are using them on multiple OpenSim grids, but don't know anything more about it.  You can look in Debug Settings (in your Advanced menu -- CTRL + Alt + D) for the SafeMode setting.  It should normally be FALSE.  You might also check the command line setting in the Second Life startup icon on your computer's desktop (Right-click on it and select Properties >>> Shortcut).  Look at the line that says "Target" and see whether it says --safe in it.  I would really be surprised if this was the answer, but I can't think of anything else right now.

• Like 1

You may need to read the SL Viewer log. What you see happening can happen if the viewer is crashing on exit. It doesn't get all the files saved that it needs to know the settings have been handled before crashing.

Try launching and logging in. Make one quick change to Preferences or none then log out. The less time logged in the better, but give it long enough the viewer settles down. The viewer should not have reached a crash condidtion and will hopefully save those settings.

The Linden made SL Viewers have a feature to allow you to backup your settings, somewhat like Firestorm does. In the upper right of the screen in the menu near the media/sound controls there is a monitor/screen icon. Click it to save your graphics settings. If your viewer does lose them you'll be able to quickly recover them.

• Like 1

That last message is normal. When you crash, it takes a minute or so for the servers to clean up. If you try to log in too soon, you get that message. It's nothing. I am at a total loss for the main problem, though. I told your that I'd be surprised of that safemode setting turned out to be the answer, but it's all I could think of. Sorry.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.