Texture on/off

Max Pitre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Need help.

I have two prims linked with two different textures. I need the textures to switch back and forth (or switch textures from the inventory) between prims at the same time. I can get them to turn on/off at timed intervals but not switch texture completly.

What Im trying to do is the butterfly here http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Colona/177/117/21

Thanks in advance

I suggest using llSetLinkPrimitiveParams [PRIM_TEXTURE] to set the textures.  You can treat both prims simultaneously by using the [PRIM_LINK_TARGET] option.  Drop that function into the ON and OFF states of your timed switch and you'll have exactly the effect you want.

If it's an option to combine the textures, it may be worth trying two-frame texture animation. I vaguely recall it being somewhat  tricky to get the two prims to cycle their texture offsets perfectly out-of-phase, but once that's working, there's no need to keep any script running -- and even better, the viewer won't need the continuous stream of object updates that will come from ongoing scripted texture-swapping.

• Like 1

Rolig Loon wrote:

I suggest using
llSetLinkPrimitiveParams [PRIM_TEXTURE]
to set the textures.  You can treat both prims simultaneously by using the
[PRIM_LINK_TARGET]
option.  Drop that function into the ON and OFF states of your timed switch and you'll have exactly the effect you want.

I tried something similar a while ago and found that even with llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast I jsut couldn't get the changes fast and precise enough.

In the end I simply went for a completely different solution: two pathcut prims and repeated euler rotations. That worked perfectly well.

just adding on

to help with two (or multi) texture anims on dif prims sometimes getting out of sync due to borkage, and also to help reduce resource usage 

then can have the script reset/resynch the texture animations on some long cycle, rather than on every beat. Or alternative for even less resource usage can have them reset/resync on Touch 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.