Viewer With Traditional MMO Navigation Controls?

zantsuken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am not sure if I am just not used to the standard viewer yet (I'm a new user). But it seems to be much more difficult to use than a traditional MMO client. Below are a few things I have noticed that make navigation somewhat difficult:

• In third person, the camera is locked veritcally - I can't easily swing the camera up and down to look arond.
  • In third person the camera controls seem reversed if you have the mouse pointer "in front" of the avatar.
  • I can't find a walk/run toggle. Have to double-press UP or W to run.
  • No Two-Mouse-Button easy run.
  • The interface changes completely when entering first person view. It is not bad, just unexpected.
  • When running/walking in third person, the avatar does not appear to follow the direction I point the camera.
  • Can you strafe?
  • Is there auto-run?

From what I have read there are other viewers I can use. I understand that the default viewer is probably very good for certain tasks in-world. However, some of us are old MMO players and might find this world more accessible with alternate controls. Can anyone recommend a viewer that works more closely to an MMORPG viewer?

You actually can strafe, toggle run, and spin the camera around. It's actually pretty cool what you can do with the camera, and you can find that just by Googling it.

But yes. Something with a more modern control scheme/interface would be nice. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's possible. It seems that the controls for SL are fixed and unchangable, unless you have a programmable keyboard or game pad. If one could customize the control scheme, I'd think that it would have been done by now (SL's what, 12 years old?).

zantsuken wrote:

Can anyone recommend a viewer that works more closely to an MMORPG viewer?

As far as I know, UKanDo is the only alternative viewer that has even a slightly more modern and user-friendly interface than the standard. And it doesn't have much more to offer in terms of movement controls and camera handling - a slightly better default camera position, that's all. The other alternative viewers I know of are if anything even more outdated and less user-friendly than the standard viewer in this respect.

HarrisonMcKenzie wrote:

But yes. Something with a more modern control scheme/interface would be nice. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's possible. It seems that the controls for SL are fixed and unchangable, unless you have a programmable keyboard or game pad. If one could customize the control scheme, I'd think that it would have been done by now (SL's what, 12 years old?).

Why LL never have upgraded the movment and camera settings and controls remains a mystery. Even minor improvements there would have given SL a much broader appeal and I can't imagine there can be any huge technical problems. Of course, many old-timers would hate any changes there - at least at first - but it should be possible to retain the old controls as an alternative option for the few who actually prefer it that way.

I tried out Singularity and it has pretty good controls. You can two-mouse-button run by first holding down on your avatar then the left mouse button followed by the right mouse button.

They could have simply made modernized controls optional I think.

zantsuken wrote:

You can two-mouse-button run by first holding down on your avatar then the left mouse button followed by the right mouse button.

That's not fair, my avatar just walks when I do that so I might as well use the arrow button! I think she's getting lazy!

I forgot to mention that you have to enable "Always Run" in the settings. I think the standard Second Life viewer would be great if they added the two-button-mouse run that Singularity and Firestorm have.

I noticed that the standard viewer has double-click-to-move while Singularity and Firestorm do not seem to have that.

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

Firestorm has it.

Preferences -> Move & View -> Movement -> Double click on land...

And so does the SL Viewer and probably all others.

That's my point, really. All viewers have most modern movement/camera functions but they tend to be hidden, making the learning curve for newcomers unnecessarily steep.

Speaking of steep learning curves:

zantsuken wrote:

• In third person, the camera is locked veritcally - I can't easily swing the camera up and down to look arond.

Yes, you can! Here are the basics of camera handling, the things all SL'ers are supposed to intuitively know:

• Ctrl-Alt-arrow key: Pivots the camera around the focus point
  • Ctrl-Alt-shift-arrow key: Moves the camera position sideways and up/down
  • Mouse scroll wheel: Moves the camera closer or further away from focus point
  • Ctrl-Alt-left-mouse button: Shifts focus to the point you click on. You can pivot around that point by moving the mouse while holding the mouse button
  • Ctrl-8: Zoom out
  • Ctrl-0: Zoom in
  • Ctrl-9: Reverts zoom to default wide angle view
  • Esc: Reverts focus point and camera position (but not zoom) to default (you may have to click it two or three times)
  • Ctrl-Alt-F1: Hides or shows the user interface (the buttons and menu line)

For Mac users: the Cmd key just duplicates the Ctrl key. You can user either.

Btw, here's how you correct the default camera position:

http://pennycow.blogspot.no/2012/01/improving-sl-camera-short-version.html

and:

http://blog.nalates.net/2011/07/24/second-life-camera-position-tips/

Oh, and one movement trick that can be useful in some rather special circumstances:

• Debug menu -> Recorder: Lets you record your movements and play them back. The feature is broken in the official viewer but should work with most third party ones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3065 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.