Why does SL disconnect after log in over wifi?

Barley Alsop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok so here's the thing, when i try to log in to SL over wifi at home, i get logged in for a few seconds before i simply get disconnected from the grid. This has happened on all the viewers i have on my laptop. Now when i connect it to the hard line everything works fine, and when i connect to wifi at school and work everything works fine. I called the ISP and they came and replaced the router and i still have the same issue. This all started when the ISP rewired the connection to the house. Does anyone have any ideas?

4 answers to this question

your router works connected, so it's not your isp.

your router doesn't work by wifi...so thats the cause, most likely your connections bandwith is good, but your stable connection isn't. Are you close to the router?...walls?...ceilings?....electromagnetic devices nearby?..so many things that can make wifi signals interupt or fading.

Note that SL clearly mentions that wifi isn's supported and using it might not work or have issues.

Second Life is not compatible with dial-up internet, satellite internet, or some wireless internet services. Occasionally these types of connection may work with Second LIfe, but Linden Lab is unable to support them or to address issues related to their use. For the best Second Life experience, always use a hard-wired DSL or cable connection.

• Like 1

Hi Barley,

It's hard to say what's causing your wi-fi issues. Are you in an area with many neighboring wi-fi networks? If so, you may be suffering interference. If your router and computer both support 2.4 and 5GHz bands, see if you can change your default connection to 5GHz. That's a little less able to penetrate walls and a little less crowded. If you can't change default band, you can probably change channel numbers. Go look at your router manual.

I just Googled "wi-fi interference app" and found this page...

http://www.howtogeek.com/197268/how-to-find-the-best-wi-fi-channel-for-your-router-on-any-operating-system/

I know wi-fi can handle SL, as that's the only way I've ever connected to it in the 7.5 years I've been here.

Good luck!

• Like 1

There is a boat load of reasons why you may have this issue and some have been covered already. Make sure you are reasonably close to the router and that you don't have things causing interference such as a microwave, or other less obvious things lurking around. I have found the the 2.4Ghz band gets a lot of things competing on it, whereas the 5Ghz doesn't do so as much, but it also has a shorter range and doesn't pass well through walls and the like.

Felicia

• Like 1

I had that problem and bought a wifi antenna for around $20 American and haven't had a problem since.It's a USB device I bought at a department store (Walmart) Also, if you're some distance from the wifi router you could try a wifi relay device, also fairly cheap. Either of these should help, or both if absolutely necessary.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3067 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.