Group IM issues

JoeC Mixmaster

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please consider fixing the group chat IMs, lots of times when I try to start a group chat to announce an event, I have to re-open it 15 times before it will let me keep it open, or send a message. It would be very nice to open it and have it work perfectly on the first try. It gets very very frustrating when an event is about to start and I can't get in the IM. This also happens sometimes when going into a conference chat with friends, though not as often as the group chats.

i can re-call a time when group chat was far worse if you think chat lag is bad imagine what it would be like if you had to send every message a min of 10 times before it would get through if you hadn't given up by then there was a period of a couple of months in '09 when that was the case thankfully it cleared up 

Anyone remember?

Xfasdf Xsdaffff Has left the group chat.

Ffsfdf Dfadsff Has left the group chat.

Fdsffa SAASafdsdf Has left the group chat.

• 1 month later...

Hate group chat not working? Go to jira.secondlife.com and lookup issue SVC-1509. Vote for it, Watch it, and let's let the Linden's know they need to fix it already!! (Got a premium account? File a support ticket EVERY TIME group chat doesn't work, flood Linden Labs with tickets!!)

I'm starting to post this to all the groups I've joined inworld, and I've been sending this message to all of my friends inworld. I'm trying to start a guerilla-type thing to try to really get the message to LL that this issue desperately needs more resources devoted to it, and that it desperately needs to become a much, much higher priority.

Really? I thought I read somewhere that LL was simply experimenting with XMPP as a POSSIBLE solution, but later abandoned it. I wish I could remember where I saw that.

Wait, wait, were you being sarcastic? Ugh, my sarcasm detector seems to have caught the bug from group chat. LOL

Jenova Spires wrote:

Really? I thought I read somewhere that LL was simply experimenting with XMPP as a POSSIBLE solution, but later abandoned it. I wish I could remember where I saw that.

Wait, wait, were you being sarcastic? Ugh, my sarcasm detector seems to have caught the bug from group chat. LOL

unfortunately, yes. XMPP turned out to be great for large multiple chats, but not for large single chats. no one had tested it for the latter, and it turns out it can't handle it any better than what we've already got.

I remember a time when lagging group chats also lagged the client and region the client was on if left open.... you had to make sure to close all large group chats or you'd slow to a crawl and eventually get disconnected. improvements are slow, but they are happening. even the lindens hate this problem as it's resisted every thing they've thrown at it to make it behave.

Hey, thanks for the update!! It's terribly frustrating to get error messages when trying to participate in group IM/Chat, but I'm sure you, and tons of other SL Residents, already know this.

It does help to know that LL is working on it. I wish I had more technical experience and could help them with exploring/testing possible solutions, and implementing a fix on the grid.

In the meantime, I guess we'll all simply have to be patient.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4735 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.