What is going on!?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know, but it's pretty annoying, especially since I'm on a brand new computer and still nothing rezzes in properly. Nothing works, radar's don't work right or anything. Linden Labs really needs to get thier stuff together and get this thing running right. The amount of money that they make on a daily basis is disgusting compared to the quality and service that is given back. :smileymad:

I don't have such issues.

Personally, I suspect their cause may be your own internet connection.

I hope you're not using Wi-Fi....that would be crazy - still many people keep using Wi-Fi  even if they have connection issues.

I agree that blaming Linden Lab is easier, and I suppose it may also be more satisfying than calling your ISP support. Not sure it's the most effective way to solve issues, but...what do I know.

Destiny Eberdene wrote:

The amount of money that they make on a daily basis is disgusting compared to the quality and service that is given back.

Ah, this is relevant to my interests. I often looked for these data but I couldn't find them.

So, how much money do they do? I need a number, even if approximate.

Thanks in advance!

• 8 years later...
On 3/28/2011 at 11:44 AM, leliel Mirihi said:

From the Second Life Grid Survey: estimated $6.142 Million per month in tier fees. Of course I'd be willing to bet that 70% of that goes straight to salaries and data center costs.

To that, add the exchange rates on the transaction volume on the Linden Exchange  https://secondlife.com/corporate/pricing.php .

The volume on Marketplace is unknown, but LL gets at 10% fee there.

On 3/28/2011 at 10:25 AM, Opensource Obscure said:

So, how much money do they do? I need a number, even if approximate.

TLDR: For quick historical numbers just go to wikipedia under Economy of Second Life.  Several citations 

15 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Just days before the original post here, Japan suffered a huge tsunami which killed thousands and caused a nuclear accident at Fukushima.

As it happens, I just viewed a documentary about that yesterday.  Along with another very scary documentary about people who jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge in 2004 (24 deaths, one survivor).  It had actual footage of some of the jumpers.  It was horrible, but I couldn't stop watching.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuaowMH0Fm4

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Along with another very scary documentary about people who jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge in 2004 (24 deaths, one survivor).  It had actual footage of some of the jumpers.  It was horrible, but I couldn't stop watching.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuaowMH0Fm4

Bridge jumping is one of the worst ways to die.

The fall usually won't kill you, but it will break a lot of bones and collapse things in ways that cause extreme suffering... and prevent you from swimming... so you basically have to slowly drown while in extreme pain... slowly drown because you've broken too many things to be able to panic your body and do what is usually the stupid that causes people to drown faster...

Since that bridge went up there's been a constant legal battle to put nets to catch people vs the folks who think nets are ugly or that it's too expensive (it isn't). I think they may have added them finally though...

On 1/2/2020 at 10:56 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Bridge jumping is one of the worst ways to die.

The fall usually won't kill you, but it will break a lot of bones and collapse things in ways that cause extreme suffering... and prevent you from swimming... so you basically have to slowly drown while in extreme pain... slowly drown because you've broken too many things to be able to panic your body and do what is usually the stupid that causes people to drown faster...

Since that bridge went up there's been a constant legal battle to put nets to catch people vs the folks who think nets are ugly or that it's too expensive (it isn't). I think they may have added them finally though...

I am assuming that shock would diminish the pain. I was in a bad 4x4 accident, had the truck roll twice and ended up stopping on my arm , my hair was pinned and I was cut in many places.. I do remember watching as people (4 guys) lifted the truck as I was pulled out and I remember looking at my arm that was grotesquely misshapen and it was in such a way as I could not see my forearm or hand  and I remember saying.. "Oh, I guess I lost my arm,, hmm."  and I said, where is TC? (A child who was in the truck with us, a friends child I was babysitting) I had used my body as a protective barrier over him and he did not have 1 scratch on him... so I lifted my arm (when the paramedic said it was behind me) pulled onto my lap (I didn't loose it it was just broken) and pulled him into my lap and got him calm... the whole time I am bleeding from several cuts from the windows, head injury and broken arm.. I then remember him saying, "ok honey this is going to hurt I have to set your arm.." and that is the last I remember the pain was so intense... I woke up in the hospital..

8 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I am assuming that shock would diminish the pain.

Was told what I posted from a rare survivor of a bridge jump who was campaigning to have safety nets added. As they put it - the pain was not diminished for that incident. But I have noticed that shock will usually do so, so I don't know why this was an exception.

1 minute ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Was told what I posted from a rare survivor of a bridge jump who was campaigning to have safety nets added. As they put it - the pain was not diminished for that incident. But I have noticed that shock will usually do so, so I don't know why this was an exception.

I remember to this day the act, rolling over and over in the truck and me using my arm to brace myself, I do not remember the moment when my arm broke...I can not tell you if it happened when I braced myself or when the truck landed on me... my brain blocked that part out.. it is interesting how our minds can protect us.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.