Jump to content

Cannot buy lindens with Visa debit card but LL did manage to charge me $1 twice


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Pre-paid cards and even some debit cards will not work with SL.  The $1 transaction is the first test of a valid card.  The next step is to return the dollar to your cards account and this is where pre-paid cards fail.

For what it's worth, the 1$ charges are only a hold. They will be released in about 3 days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree about gift cards.  However some debit cards do work because they are branded ( Visa or MasterCards etc ) AND the bank that issues them makes immediate payment.  Mine works like that.  My bank will pay up to a certain amount, just like a credit card, even if I don't have money in my account.  Of course they come after me then and charge me a hefty overdraw fee LOL, so I'm sure the money is in the account.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I agree about gift cards.  However some debit cards do work because they are branded ( Visa or MasterCards etc ) AND the bank that issues them makes immediate payment.  Mine works like that.  My bank will pay up to a certain amount, just like a credit card, even if I don't have money in my account.  Of course they come after me then and charge me a hefty overdraw fee LOL, so I'm sure the money is in the account.

ditto on that. Everything I've ever paid to LL (tier, subs and L$ purchases) has been via debit card for over nine years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Kelli May wrote:


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I agree about gift cards.  However some debit cards do work because they are branded ( Visa or MasterCards etc ) AND the bank that issues them makes immediate payment.  Mine works like that.  My bank will pay up to a certain amount, just like a credit card, even if I don't have money in my account.  Of course they come after me then and charge me a hefty overdraw fee LOL, so I'm sure the money is in the account.

ditto on that. Everything I've ever paid to LL (tier, subs and L$ purchases) has been via debit card for over nine years.

If your debit card can also be run as a credit card (like I have to do at a lot of gas pumps) you will not have any problems.  Most cards work this way but there are a few that are different.  It's all up to the bank that issues the card.

 

In other words, if you hand your debit card to the waitress and she brings you back a slip to sign, your debit card will work with LL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Rhonda Huntress wrote:


Kelli May wrote:


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I agree about gift cards.  However some debit cards do work because they are branded ( Visa or MasterCards etc ) AND the bank that issues them makes immediate payment.  Mine works like that.  My bank will pay up to a certain amount, just like a credit card, even if I don't have money in my account.  Of course they come after me then and charge me a hefty overdraw fee LOL, so I'm sure the money is in the account.

ditto on that. Everything I've ever paid to LL (tier, subs and L$ purchases) has been via debit card for over nine years.

If your debit card can also be run as a credit card (like I have to do at a lot of gas pumps) you will not have any problems.  Most cards work this way but there are a few that are different.  It's all up to the bank that issues the card.

 

In other words, if you hand your debit card to the waitress and she brings you back a slip to sign, your debit card will work with LL.

Not to say you're wrong (as far as sign-for-it debit cards working for SL), but if I hand my debit card to a waitress, she's overwhelmingly likely to put it in a portable EPoS and hand it back for me to authorise it by PIN. In the UK at least, signing to authorise card transactions is extremely rare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Rhonda Huntress wrote:


Kelli May wrote:


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I agree about gift cards.  However some debit cards do work because they are branded ( Visa or MasterCards etc ) AND the bank that issues them makes immediate payment.  Mine works like that.  My bank will pay up to a certain amount, just like a credit card, even if I don't have money in my account.  Of course they come after me then and charge me a hefty overdraw fee LOL, so I'm sure the money is in the account.

ditto on that. Everything I've ever paid to LL (tier, subs and L$ purchases) has been via debit card for over nine years.

If your debit card can also be run as a credit card (like I have to do at a lot of gas pumps) you will not have any problems.  Most cards work this way but there are a few that are different.  It's all up to the bank that issues the card.

 

In other words, if you hand your debit card to the waitress and she brings you back a slip to sign, your debit card will work with LL.

Working in Retail Sales I have never seen a Debit Card that could not be run as a Credit Card.  All I had to do was tell the machine to run it as a 'credit card.'  As best as I can discern it all has to do with how the issuing bank identifies (classifies) the card.  Which is a longer treatise than I want to write here.

So some people get lucky and their Debit cards work.  But as Alwin pointed out, debit cards are not listed as an officially accepted form of payment.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Kelli May wrote:


Rhonda Huntress wrote:


Kelli May wrote:


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I agree about gift cards.  However some debit cards do work because they are branded ( Visa or MasterCards etc ) AND the bank that issues them makes immediate payment.  Mine works like that.  My bank will pay up to a certain amount, just like a credit card, even if I don't have money in my account.  Of course they come after me then and charge me a hefty overdraw fee LOL, so I'm sure the money is in the account.

ditto on that. Everything I've ever paid to LL (tier, subs and L$ purchases) has been via debit card for over nine years.

If your debit card can also be run as a credit card (like I have to do at a lot of gas pumps) you will not have any problems.  Most cards work this way but there are a few that are different.  It's all up to the bank that issues the card.

 

In other words, if you hand your debit card to the waitress and she brings you back a slip to sign, your debit card will work with LL.

Not to say you're wrong (as far as sign-for-it debit cards working for SL), but if I hand my debit card to a waitress, she's overwhelmingly likely to put it in a portable EPoS and hand it back for me to authorise it by PIN. In the UK at least, signing to authorise card transactions is extremely rare.

 

Kelli, those are rarely seen in the US. We are pretty much the last country in the world to move to EMV for credit cards and restaurants will be the last group to adopt them, because of tipping. Moving to EMV is going to cost restaurants a lot, since their whole payment structure will have to change, OR they'll have to buy wifi tablets with EMV card readers.

I saw an article recently that a major NY restaurant group was going to start charging a gratuity and discontinue tipping entirely; I bet it's because of EMV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NPR ran a story on the NY restaurant that's ending tips by adding the gratuity into their prices. The reasoning given was that the kitchen staff in restaurants don't participate in tip revenues, and felt that was unfair. We'll see how their experiment goes. I'm all for rewarding the kitchen, so I don't think I have a problem with the change. We'll see when it happens near me. I can still tip someone who puts a smile on my face.

As for the shift to smart/chip cards in the US, I think that'll happen pretty quickly over the next year or so. Starting Oct 1 in the US, only transactions made via smart card capable terminals will benefit from the fraud protection typically offered by card providers. If the corner deli continues to use an old mag-stripe reader and accepts payment via a stolen CC, restitution will come from the deli. In all cases, the card holder remains protected by the card issuer and the merchant is not liable if a mag-stripe card is swiped in their smart card reader.

Nice to see you, btw!

;-).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...