Jump to content

Logging into GF's avatar


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Greetings,

I was recently told by a friend about LL locking and closing his girlfriends account because he had logged into it from different location/server as her usual log in location.

That friend and her GF contacted LL support to explain she had given him password and authorization so he could help her do some editing but apparently they didn't accept these justifications and deleted or locked her account anyhow.

I am worried because I have done this many times as my GF isn't very good at editing and so I have logged into her account numerous times to help her from a different continent location.

Is this a violation of LL TOS? It would seem rather abusive and intrusive on customers rights and freedom since in such circumstances it is done in mutual agreement between customers/players.

I would appreciate If anybody could help explaining this issue.

Thank you.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if your friends friends account got closed then something the friend did while logged in has to have breached Section 4.2 (para 3) of the ToS

www.lindenlab.com/tos

+

as far as your own logging in on your own friends account then is nothing against this in the ToS

suggest tho that you dont do anything other than editing

like dont buy any stuff. Dont buy or sell L$. Dont remove or add your friend to any groups. Dont sell, buy, abandon parcels. Dont transfer stuff to your own account, etc

+

and dont play on the account

like go places and interact with other people on that account

in your friends friends case I am pretty sure they did something, like played on it (as the friend) would be my guess. Which is what would have triggered the ToS breach I think

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I disagree about a TOS breach. Users are solely responsible for the use of the account and confidentially of credentials. Nowhere does it state that they cannot be shared.

 

Further, I call rubbish on an account being supposedly locked due to access from a different location. As well as extensive travel, I regularly use VPNs with various endpoints so may appear to pop up in all sorts of countries within minutes.

 

It would be a nice feature if it did work like some where you could whitelist but LL don't care about security really. After all, you're solely responsible, it must be you fault...

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Sassy Romano wrote:

I disagree about a TOS breach. Users are solely responsible for the use of the account and confidentially of credentials. Nowhere does it state that they cannot be shared.


we dont disagree

+

if the friends friend did something on the account while logged in (having been given the password) then the friend (the account owner) is liable for whatever it was, under that section of the ToS 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Sassy Romano wrote:

 

Further, I call rubbish on an account being supposedly locked due to access from a different location. As well as extensive travel, I regularly use VPNs with various endpoints so may appear to pop up in all sorts of countries within minutes.

I didn't want to come out and say it, but this does sound suspect.  Google will do that to you but not SL.  There is more to the story than what the friend is saying.  You can either pick at him for the real story (and possibly get him in trouble with his gf) or just accept it and move on.

Empty, don't worry about helping your girlfriend edit her outfits.  You are not doing anything that will get you banned.  This is just the cover story your friend is using.  If you want to help him out, tell him we said it was because he bought something and next time use MarketPlace with his account and "buy as gift" for her account.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4.1 and 4.2 cover it. It's pretty heavy reading and takes a while to wrap around what is said, versus what someone wants to hear. 4.1 makes it sound like, you are not to share it with any third party. (assigning an account) disclosure of login credentials is effectively an assignment.

4.2 makes it sound like technically authorized access is permissable but you are solely responsible for everything and if they need to and may terminate should there be a reason.

The level of trust needed for this sort of thing is pretty much on an unconditional and epic proportion.

That doesn't grow easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies everybody. I think it's safe then, hopefully.

And yes there is unconditionnal love and trust between my girlfriend and I, we've been sharing everything together for two years now, she can also log into my account without any worries.

However I did buy a few items from MP on her demand while logged into her account, I guess it's best to avoid that and buy as gift from my own account.

Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


NaomiLocket wrote:

4.1 and 4.2 cover it. It's pretty heavy reading and takes a while to wrap around what is said, versus what someone wants to hear. 4.1 makes it
sound like
, you are not to share it with any third party. (assigning an account) disclosure of login credentials is effectively an assignment.

4.2 makes it
sound like
technically authorized access is permissable but you are solely responsible for everything and if they need to and may terminate should there be a reason.

The level of trust needed for this sort of thing is pretty much on an unconditional and epic proportion.

That doesn't grow easily.

As a general FYI for people, when you read the word "assign" you have to remember that the TOS is a LEGAL document and that LEGAL DEFINITIONS apply.  Could have a lot of fun with that.  You'd have to look at how it is applied in California.

My basic take on why you can not Assign, Transfer, Sell, etc. your account with out LL's permission is simply this:  That person you would be selling to had not agreed to the TOS.  They had no legal contract with LL.  LL would need to assure this.That would be the prime and major reason.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Sassy Romano wrote:

Better still, teach her to edit or dump her and find one that already can
;)

I had a similar thought, but I think this kind of relationship is part of the role play.  I am regularly contacted by such couples, but never do I remember a couple in which the woman was handy at editing/ modifying and the man was not, unless except may a couple of times when the man was brand new.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree that there is more to this story than stated.

Personally I think giving ANYONE your password is foolish.  I've seen people who are together for a long time break up and reek havoc on their ex's account even steal from them by using their payment info to buy L's and send them to themselves or others.

I would ask myself, would I give this person access to all my bank accounts and credit cards.  If you say no, don't give them your SL password .

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


NaomiLocket wrote:

4.1 and 4.2 cover it. It's pretty heavy reading and takes a while to wrap around what is said, versus what someone wants to hear. 4.1 makes it
sound like
, you are not to share it with any third party. (assigning an account) disclosure of login credentials is effectively an assignment.

4.2 makes it
sound like
technically authorized access is permissable but you are solely responsible for everything and if they need to and may terminate should there be a reason.

The level of trust needed for this sort of thing is pretty much on an unconditional and epic proportion.

That doesn't grow easily.

As a general FYI for people, when you read the word "assign" you have to remember that the TOS is a LEGAL document and that LEGAL DEFINITIONS apply.  Could have a lot of fun with that.  You'd have to look at how it is applied in California.

My basic take on why you can not Assign, Transfer, Sell, etc. your account with out LL's permission is simply this:  That person you would be selling to had not agreed to the TOS.  They had no legal contract with LL.  LL would need to assure this.That would be the prime and major reason.

Well ligal. Its a legal document if you are from the US.

Around here the court have said that only a signed contract is a contract, as the TOS really is, is legal. If you dont sign it it's not, and pushing a agree button is not signing. On the other hand It's LL's program and they can do what they want with it and have whatever rules they want but it has nothing to do with the law. Atleast not around here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...