Is SL a game?

UserID1024

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

One for SL users of all sorts. Is SL a game? Elaborating on perspective much appreciated.

Linden's former head of communication, Catherine Smith has suggested that SL's lack of a set objective and open endedness result in something uncategorizable as a game. 

My feeling is that it is dependant on the type of experience a given person is having from moment to moment. Playing Attack the Titan... game. Earning Lindens working for :sey... maybe, not so much.

Thank you,

UserID1024

2 answers to this question

Answers is not the place to discuss this old question.  We can't do a back-and-forth discussion here easily, and that's not what this area is for anyway.  You'd be better advised to ask in General Discussion.  And then duck.  SL residents have been debating that one since Day One.  There's no clear answer, but lots of opinion and a lot of yelling at times.  Unless you truly want to get into that argument, I suggest that you figure out a good answer for yourself by keeping your eyes open for the next few years.

Is SL a game?   Good question.   I think its more of an avenue to either exploit your own talents as far as building scripting or even singing in a karaoke club.   There is Roll play (RP) on RP sims that are provided by many people.  There are places to visit of interest that people have put up like the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame,  Jules Vernes Museum,  Mountain Climbing, etc... pretty much anything you would love to do in Real Life is here on Second life.   You can meet interesting people from all over the world on SL... Like real life you have to pick and choose your friendships carefully.   Just remember to have fun in SL because it is a fun place if you make it a fun place.   I have enjoyed SL for nearly 7 years and I have become addicted to my friendships.  I have met so many wonderful people.   Everyone that I have met is willing to help you learn the basics... more people will help you learn to build and where to get what you need.   People make up Second life.  The makers of Second life might have invented it but its the people that make it what is is.   And on another note.... hey Linden Labs can you come down on the price of a linden?   Even though SL is one of the best places of all Sim worlds, other worlds are costing less and less for sims and monitary notes.   Land is cheaper on other sim games also.  I can remember getting online on a friday night and finding over 350,000 people on second life and now i barely find 40,000.   Its because SL has been beaten out by other sim worlds monitarily.  Something to think about Linden Labs!!!!  Just sayin!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.