Clothing HUDs

VonNixon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am having problems with some of my clothing HUDs.  At one point they worked fine, but I right clicked and "detached" them at one point so I could see my screen better.  The next time I wore the outfit, the HUDs didn't appear, even though they are attached and worn according to my inventory.

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

*Edit*  Not sure how to reply to posts made.  I tried Rolig Loon's solution, and it did not work.

*Update*  I deleted the item and re-opened the original packaging, and that seemed to work.  Not sure why it happened to begin with, but glad it is fixed now.

Thanks for all the responses!  I appreciate the help.

4 answers to this question

My best guess is that you accidentally dragged them outside the viewing area on your screen.  Find another HUD (or attach a prim to your screen temporarily as a fake HUD) and select it with your Edit tool.  Then use your mouse wheel to scroll out and shrink the screen area.  If your missing HUD is outside the outline of the edited screen, grab it and drag it back.

• Like 2

VonNixon wrote:

[ .... ]

*Edit*  Not sure how to reply to posts made.  I tried Rolig Loon's solution, and it did not work.

Congratulations. That's how you do it.

Hmmm..  Well, that was my best guess, and the most likely problem.  Beyond that, there aren't a lot of possibilities.  If the HUDs are labelled "attached" in inventory, then you clearly didn't drop them.  I can only think of a couple of other options.  One is that your somehow attached them somewhere else, not as HUDs, so they are on your body but not on your screen.  The other is that they somehow became fully transparent (maybe rotated so that they no longer face the screen). 

I think the first possibility is highly unlikely, but it's worth keeping in the back of your mind somewhere.  The other one is more probable but strange.  I've rotated a HUD accidentally myself, but never without knowing that I was doing something dumb at the time.  It's hard to explain how a HUD -- more than one HUD in your case -- could get rotated without you noticing it.  Anyway, highlight transparent objects with CTRL + Alt + T and see if anything appears on your screen.  A rotated HUD might be very skinny indeed, nothing more than a faint, thin line.  If you spot it, you might be able to grab it carefully with your edit tool and rotate it back into position.  And if the HUD is not rotated but just somehow transparent, see if you can use your Edit tool's Texture tab to make it more opaque -- if you have Mod permission.

If those possibilities don't turn out to be right, I'm afraid I am out of ideas.

EDIT:   Oooo!  Another possibility, related to the rotated idea.  Many HUDs are designed to shrink when you don't want them to clutter your screen.  Yours may be one of those.  If so, it should be visible somewhere on the screen but just not in a form you recognize -- a simple, small icon of some kind.  If you see something like that, click it and see if your HUD pops back into view.

• Like 2

You have probably tried detaching and attaching. If not, try it. Use Attach To HUD... try Center. if it fails to show up there, you may well have it rotated as Rolig thinks.

If that re-attaching fails, HUDs have 5 sides that are invisible. You may have to rez the HUD on the ground and sweep your camera around it to find it. Then rotate it so the HUD face is on the positive X-axis.

• Like 1

The easiest way to find missing items that are attached to you in some way is to edit them. Right click the item name in your inventory, and choose "Edit." That should highlight the item on your screen, and the arrows that usually appear when you edit an object should center on where the "missing" HUD is. From there, you can figure out how to fix whatever went wrong, either by moving it back to where you can see it, rotating it back so that it's facing you, or - after exiting out of the edit screen - clicking on it to maximize a minimized HUD. 

If, for some reason, the item is not highlighted or the edit arrows do not appear, there's clearly something more wrong than we suspect. Detach the HUDs and rewear them from their original folders instead of the link in your outfits; and if that doesn't work, try unboxing and wearing a fresh copy, if you have the box still. If you don't, see if you can get a redelivery.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.