How often does it happen to you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Venus Petrov wrote:

If someone in SL pings me for the first time with 'Hi' and then 'Where are you from?'.  I generally reply 'Hi. I live on Tranquility Dreams sim.  Where are YOU from?'  I don't mind sharing my RL location with someone with whom I've had some good conversation and meeting of minds prior to.  Jumping straight to RL information seems rude to me. Don't know why. It just does.

I just give a vague idea about where I am.  "I'm from Texas."  That way they have a general sense of the cultures around me and a good idea of what my horrible accent sounds like.

I often phrase the question to others like "what part of the world do you call home?"  All I really care about is maybe the time zone +- a few hours and is your culture different than mine.  From Germany?  Fascinating!  Texas? pffttt.  I can walk out the door and meet a Texan. :smileyvery-happy:

Rhonda Huntress wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

If someone in SL pings me for the first time with 'Hi' and then 'Where are you from?'.  I generally reply 'Hi. I live on Tranquility Dreams sim.  Where are YOU from?'  I don't mind sharing my RL location with someone with whom I've had some good conversation and meeting of minds prior to.  Jumping straight to RL information seems rude to me. Don't know why. It just does.

I just give a vague idea about where I am.  "I'm from Texas."  That way they have a general sense of the cultures around me and a good idea of what my horrible accent sounds like.

I often phrase the question to others like "what part of the world do you call home?"  All I really care about is maybe the time zone +- a few hours and is your culture different than mine.  From Germany?  Fascinating!  Texas? pffttt.  I can walk out the door and meet a Texan. :smileyvery-happy:

It's too funny! In my case I'm out there DJing live for Hours on end and I always mention that my show is bring brought to you live from Huntington Beach, California and I still get the "Where are you from?" question all the time. I even include the Huntington Beach Beach cam URL  in my in-world chats to the audience so my land-locked VIPs can enjoy the beach with me.

What this tells me is that the questioner [when they have been there for a few of my announcements] is not listening to my sets. That guarantees you a seat at the kid's table in another sim.

Its the same with profiles (or at least similar). The people who seem to be the most interested in real life informations are very often too lazy to make the first step and maybe check the RL-Bio tab in the profile if there is anything interesting. Then they start the conversation with you and ask all the stuff they could have found out by two clicks....or in your case just showing a little bit interest in your DJ show.

I don't ask where anyone else comes from and, if asked, only say vaguely that I am from the middle of the U.S.  And hardly anyone ever asks.  

It's nobody's business who I am or where I am in RL.  When I am in SL, I am in SL. There is no RL (other than Rolig Loon, of course).  :smileywink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3098 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.