How often does it happen to you?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You meet someone, you are getting on well and then, in my case seems it happens quite often......Do you Skype? Would you like to see me on Cam? . I know who I am, do I really have to prove it to anyone else?  Quite often it's very early on in the friendship that this happens. I am happy to voice, saves me typing all the time but I usually just voice with people I have known for a while. SL for me is an escape from a busy and sometimes stressful RL some people seem to think its a place to find a RL partner and I know that does happen good luck to them. When I decline to go on cam or skype its seems like I must be pretending to be someone I am not. 

it happens not every day but it's happening sometimes... and i'm pretty easy in it... NO thanks.. don't like the answer?... well pretty sure we would chat a second time anyway ...

how old are you is a sortlike question in the first minute...  when telling them to look at my profile they can see i'm over 8 years.. when keep pointing to that most poof... sometimes i really wonder what they think about sl... facebook or datingservice?...

younger people are more into the actual self of another person than a representation of the other person

that they themselfs are representing even in RL situations. Representing in ways which are not always true (like at clubs, bars, etc) is a understanding that only comes from experience

older people of which there are many in SL already have this experience. so is not as much a biggie for them

+

sometimes I get asked inworld: ASL? I just answer and not think much of it

is pretty much a younger person who will ask this tho. Older people dont bother to ask this at all hardly ever. bc of their life experience

+

also as well

lots of older people who get asked this will politely disengage from any further convo with the person

one, bc they kinda know that is a young person, which for many older people in social settings is not something they feel comfortable with. Knowing that a social convo can easy turn intimate

and two, if is not a young person who does ask ASL then is a older person who maybe isnt very mature.

which is not someone, older people do want to engage socially with. Not without the drama that older, yet socially immature, people tend towards engaging in

basically. ASL is a big warning sign pretty much. For older people anyways

Laika Ravikumar wrote:

You meet someone, you are getting on well and then, in my case seems it happens quite often......Do you Skype? Would you like to see me on Cam? . I know who I am, do I really have to prove it to anyone else?  Quite often it's very early on in the friendship that this happens. I am happy to voice, saves me typing all the time but I usually just voice with people I have known for a while. SL for me is an escape from a busy and sometimes stressful RL some people seem to think its a place to find a RL partner and I know that does happen good luck to them. When I decline to go on cam or skype its seems like I must be pretending to be someone I am not. 

It's not about age.  It's about sexual fantasy.    The *person who wants to Skype either is hoping for a sexual fantasy *right then*, or in the near future.  They want a visual, and/or, are hoping they can see you naked. Or, they will be naked.  If they say it's not about this, they're lying.

* Usually a guy. 

Richtea57 wrote:

I had to google ASL, which, perhaps, gives a clue that I may not be a prticularly young and hep cat, (as I believe the kids say). On the other hand, I know how to Google, so I am almost 'with it'

Just be sure to remember that LOL does not mean "Lots of Love."   ;)

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Laika Ravikumar wrote:

It's not about age.  It's about sexual fantasy.    The *person who wants to Skype either is hoping for a sexual fantasy *right then*, or in the near future.  They want a visual, and/or, are hoping they can see you naked. Or, they will be naked.  If they say it's not about this, they're lying.

* Usually a guy. 

I get all these women who wonder if it's true what they say about Martians.  :D

Syo Emerald wrote:

Ah, the wonderful world of stereotypes and the idea, that you can magically know whos behind the keyboard.

yes

is not magic tho. is what we do

work from stereotypes that fit our own views and behaviours based on our previous experiences. Until our new experiences (if it ever reaches that point) with the person we have stereotyped changes our views

when this happens then we add these to our stereotypical views and project them onto the next stranger we meet

quite often we dont accept that we do this, bc we are nice person. We do tho. We just dont accept that we do

Richtea57 wrote:

I had to google ASL, which, perhaps, gives a clue that I may not be a prticularly young and hep cat, (as I believe the kids say). On the other hand, I know how to Google, so I am almost 'with it'

whats pretty interresting is that most of the acronyms used today online, were invented by todays old people back in the day when they were young

has been some new ones added for sure since. but most of them have been round since forever

Richtea57 wrote:

I was wondering what ASL was too Richtea but kept on reading before LIU

Knowing the answer is nothing to do with age or being hep cat, one just needs to come across the  acronym a few times.

Then let me tell you, that the request for more real life information, voice and cam isn't a question typical for younger generations...but more some for horny guys.

Speaking of stereotypes: As long as someone doesn't tell you who they are, you can't really apply any stereotype that is based on real life, without risiking to be way off the mark. Form your style of writing, I would now think you are young and that might be wrong. Maybe you just love shortcuts and hate to use a point to end your sentence.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Then let me tell you, that the request for more real life information, voice and cam isn't a question typical for younger generations...but more some for horny guys.

This. For me, the overwhelming majority of times someone has asked for cam, pics or voice have been when sex was on the table (or up against a wall, in a field or under a grand piano). Most men* seem to be terrified that they might be sexting another man.

*in this case, heterosexual male-presenting avatars.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Speaking of stereotypes: As long as someone doesn't tell you who they are, you can't really apply any stereotype that is based on real life, without risiking to be way off the mark. Form your style of writing, I would now think you are young and that might be wrong. Maybe you just love shortcuts and hate to use a point to end your sentence.

about the first

yes. i was just try be polite about the guys. Online It typically goes:

them: hi

me: hi

them: asl??

in the RL it just goes: AL? how old are you. where you from. Is pretty standard questions these when at parties and clubbing

+

about the second

yes also

we project our own experiences onto others to fill in the blanks. Is nothing wrong with this. bc we got nothing else to go on in lots of cases.

so is a pretty reasonable thing to do I think. I been online long enough now to not much care anymore what others might project onto me. Most dont over-project. Some do. Some guess. Some dont. Some dont care either 

If someone in SL pings me for the first time with 'Hi' and then 'Where are you from?'.  I generally reply 'Hi. I live on Tranquility Dreams sim.  Where are YOU from?'  I don't mind sharing my RL location with someone with whom I've had some good conversation and meeting of minds prior to.  Jumping straight to RL information seems rude to me. Don't know why. It just does.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.