Sign in to follow this  
maxxwell

[3DS Max] Double sided objects. (solved)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I've been wondering about having double sided objects in 3DS max so the materials show up on both sides of an object. For example, if I make a hat starting with a box, and I decide to delete a face, so let's say the bottom and made it act as the inside of the hat, it would be invisible in the renderer. I have tried to force 2 sided objects in the render properties, but when I upload into SL that obviously doesn't stay. For simple objects, my method would be to clone the finished object, scale to 99% to prevent clipping, flip the normals and attach to the original object, but that doesn't make my object look as perfect as it should. I know I could also model my object without deleting the bottom face, but that would result in a huge hassle trying to work with 2 verticies at the same time all the time, then having to unwrap the UV for the bottom, and this would be even more difficult when trying to make hair, as usually I would use a plane primitive rather than a box, and that is also one sided. So does anyone know of any alternative methods?

For a real two sided effect and no hassle with UV mapping, do as did with the clone, but skip the 99% scale step. ("backface cull" and "ignore backfacing" will make your life easier in 3ds max)

A more elegant option is using the shell modifier.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1750 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.