Beware if you Upgrade to Windows 10

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently had to do a clean install of Windows 7 after automatic upgrade made the OS on my laptop useless. To make a long story short, I had to buy another copy of Win 7. It came with the free upgrade to Windows 10. I didn't want to install Win 10 but it automatically did it for me. Besides the security issues that can be manually shut down, which i did. It has a load of tracking information and get this keyloggers which can download all kinds of passwords and info. The two biggest problems besides security for me are , 1. it disconnects my wifi card indiscriminately knocking me off SL which is a PITA., 2. it disabled my touch pad mouse on my laptop. Being a new operating system there aren't a lot of fixes for this out there yet. I've tried all the fixes Microsoft recommends to no avail. I'm not the only one having these problems they are well documented if you look online. I thought i'd pass this info along for anyone wanting to upgrade to Windows 10. BEWARE ! I'd wait a while until they can correct these issues before downloading it to your computers.

I had to re-download most of my firmware for my Asus laptop when I "upgraded". WIn10 is essentially a Beta program in disguise. Your wifi connection randomly dropping along with your touch mouse not working sounds very much like a driver issue. I also had to re-install the Japanese and Korean Language packs to display the characters correctly.

I upgraded to win10 today. The smoothest upgrade ever. And so far, I have not found a case of having to change anything for most of my software, my desk top looks just like it did before.

The only SL issue was that I had to re-enter my password. All my settings and logs are still hooked up as I had configured them. 

Rhys Goode wrote:

I upgraded to win10 today. The smoothest upgrade ever. And so far, I have not found a case of having to change anything for most of my software, my desk top looks just like it did before.

The only SL issue was that I had to re-enter my password. All my settings and logs are still hooked up as I had configured them. 

Must agree.  Expecting a Vista like disaster after XP, I upgraded W10 on my MS Surface Pro (from W8.1) and ran it for a couple of weeks expecting the worst, but without issue.  The upgrade was smooth and required no effort from me to adjust even a single setting in any of my programs.

Expecting my desktop (W7) may cause more issues, I was delighted it smoothly upgraded without a single problem.

I have now being using W10 on both, my Surface since launch day+1, and no issues at all.

Upgrade experiences I know are hugely varied, but so far I'm delighted with W10 on both.  For me W10 really does include the good parts of W8.1 with the sensible interface of W7.  I thought nothing would better W7 (certainly not W8.1) but there are many things I prefer about W10 compared to W7.

This really should be in the tech forum ...

I put Win X pro on the desktop.  I blew everything away and loaded on a blank disk.  It had a little problem with graphics until I upgraded from the vendor.  No other  problems since then even with letting Windows update all it wants.

I have a laptop with the "free" upgrade that went from Win 7 to 10.  I had more trouble making Cortana use google than I did with the install.

I still have Win 8.1 on a touchpad that I haven't upgraded yet but really there is no need to.  And that's the bottom line I tell anyone that asks me if they should upgrade.  Do you need something from Windows 10 that your current OS does not have?  So far, other than testing I have seen zero need to upgrade if you have Win 7 or better,  If you don't have to upgrade yet, don't.  And no you don't need the new OS just because it's the new OS.  The "free" offer is good for a year.  Patience is on your side. 

Phoebe Avro wrote:

I tested Windows 10 as an insider, I would advise any laptop owner NOT to install it unless the maker of your laptop has drivers for it!

I am still using windows 7 Pro on my PC since it works and Windows 10 dose not  offer me anything better at this time.

I have to agree. My laptop did not care for Win 10 at all. Started running slow and a bit sluggish.

I reverted back to Win 7 and haven't looked back.

WHEN I get a new machine, THEN I'll deal with Win 10.

My asus touchscreen laptop was also slow as dry mud running uphill after the Win10 update from Win8, especially startups. What fixed it for me was doing a fresh installation.

It still takes a bit longer to fully boot up than it used to with Win8, but it's a lot better and once started, it's just fine.

Phoebe Avro wrote:

I tested Windows 10 as an insider, I would advise any laptop owner NOT to install it unless the maker of your laptop has drivers for it!

I am still using windows 7 Pro on my PC since it works and Windows 10 dose not  offer me anything better at this time.

I think your assessment is totally on point. My problem like Supersatan3 had mentioned is all driver related and it's mostly a problem with some laptops. I haven't upgraded my desktop PC yet. But from what I see none of the problems i'm having would effect a desktop PC. There are few programs missing in Win 10, but a quick download of 2012 essentials recovered thoses.

another issue ive seen is the basic apps not working like photo, maps,  calendar, etc and the srvice that replaced media player also has issues

plus the fact that windows 10 doesnt support 2000 series to 3999 series laptop graphics anything in between which sucks for us who have laptops i had to  use the fix for firestorm just to be able to use sl again because of the graphics not supported message

ChaoticFire86 wrote:

another issue ive seen is the basic apps not working like photo, maps,  calendar, etc and the srvice that replaced media player also has issues

plus the fact that windows 10 doesnt support 2000 series to 3999 series laptop graphics anything in between which sucks for us who have laptops i had to  use the fix for firestorm just to be able to use sl again because of the graphics not supported message

Yup, you're absolutely correct about thoses issues. I've seen many problems posted online about them. I'm sure there will be more with lesser used programs too. You find out as you try to use them. I've been trying to correct them on my laptop as i find them. Some of them so far are not fixable though. I really want to give Win 10 a fair shake and make it work, but it looks like i'm going to have to roll back to Win 7.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.