a Parcel script time counter ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi! I'm Estate Manager of a sim (homestead), we live on half of the sim, the other half we are renting out. Our usual problem with renters is that they don't realise how much lag their prim babies and breedables and pets and whatnot, create. One renter had a prim baby out that used more scripts than my whole other half of the sim. It seems impossible to explain this to people, they just think I'm nagging. I've been trying to find a tool that can show them in a simple way, how much sim recources their objects use. Maybe a tool that I could rezz in a corner of their land. So far, I've only found tools that show the script time of the whole sim, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want renters to be able to SEE what their own objects do.

Anyone knows a solution?

I can't think of a way to do this that wouldn't be pretty laggy itself. It's easy to use llGetObjectDetails to get relevant data such as OBJECT_SCRIPT_TIME but there's no nice way to find every object rezzed in a region. The best way I know of to do that is with a sensor scanner that methodically traverses the entire space of the sim and keeps track of all the stuff it finds. (This is difficult because sensors only see at most the nearest 16 specified objects, so when they hit that ceiling, the sensor has to be adjusted in range, angle, and/or location to reduce the likelihood that it's missing something. There are scripts that do such scans with varying success, but the more complete they are, the more they'll degrade sim performance.) 

All that said, I'm interested to know about this tool that purports to "show the script time of the whole sim" because I don't know how they'd do that with a script. It's trivial to get the region's FPS and time dilation, but specifically script time? I don't recall anything that would make that measurement (except a bot).

Now, another point about this: If you were to use sensors, you'd only see the script usage of "free-rezzed" objects, as opposed to attached -- and attachments are often many times laggier than anything a renter is likely to rez on the ground. On the plus side, withllGetAttachedList combined with llGetAgentList and llGetObjectDetails we can now get tremendous detail about which objects attached to which avatars are causing the most lag.

If you're sure the script time of freestanding objects is really worth the trouble, you might raise a feature-request jira about it. Ordinarily I'd say the odds would be slim, but this kinda fits some recently-stated Linden interests.

thanks for your reply!

I wouldn't be interested in anything that measures an avatar attachments, because, renters in this sim should have the freedom to wear whatever they want (within reason of course). To me it matters more what scripty objects they rezz, which effects me too even if the tenant isn't online or in the sim.

I was actually referring to the estage Manager tool, the debug Tab - Top scripts. Where it shows how much Ms all scripts in the sim are using, and it shows how much Ms each scripted object uses, who the owner of the scripted object is, and so on. In this tab it's clear to see by clicking on the Time column, who and what uses the most Ms in the sim. If there only was a simple tool that could display this Top Scripts window to the tenants, maybe they would have more understanding of the amount of lag their objects can cause.

But if it requires sensors and such, like you said, to even find objects in a close range, then it seems useless to even try. I have no knowledge of scripts or how they work, all I know is, the higher the Ms number in my sim, the more lag we experience ;)

Tigo Volare wrote:

I was actually referring to the estage Manager tool, the debug Tab - Top scripts.

Ah, yeah, that's why I mentioned a bot: In theory, a "scripted agent" (bot) with the right permissions could stay logged-in on the sim and keep scraping the Top Scripts data, passing it to in-world scripts. In practice, I don't know that any of the bot software has that ability off the shelf, but there's nothing at all to prevent it.

And that's another reason a jira might just get some attention. Given that all the data is already available in viewers (so nobody can fuss about "privacy" etc.) and the sim already has a way to bundle it up and dump it out over the wire, most of the hard work is already done for making it available to a script API.

Exactly, that's why I was surprised to not be able to find anything that could do that. And yea, as for privacy, if someone with EM rights can see your scripted objects, why can 't you see your own? I think it could open many people's eyes as to the amount of sim recourse they unknowingly take up. Thanks for your advice!

• Like 1

For whatever it's worth, I raised this subject at Simon's Server User Group yesterday. As always, Inara Pey masterfully summarizes the discussion in her blog. Seems like a jira might well be worth writing, if someone really wanted this functionality.

(I probalby should have mentioned before: although using a sensor to get an exhaustive list of all the high-impact scripts on a parcel is pretty ugly, it's usually adequate to strap on an attachment and wander around, sensing and reporting objects with heavy script times. Some will go un-sensed, but it's informative and not a difficult script -- and would still provide useful detail if a "parcel script time" summary function were to be developed.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.