Intel(R) Q35 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0) & Windows 10

Dani Whitcroft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just "upgraded" to Windows 10. On the whole I like it, HOWEVER... SL no longer runs. The only "viewer" I've been able to get to boot is METAbolt, a text-only viewer. Firestorm, SIngularity, and Catznip (the second and third of which I only installed to make sure it wasn't a Firestorm issue). I use Intel(R) Q35 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0), which I understand is a very poor graphics chip (or name for a set of weak chips? I don't know I'm not tech savvy) and I've even seen a post on here saying SL won't run with it, HOWEVER, SL was running just fine for me yesterday at ultra-low graphics settings. Here is the message I get when I try to boot up firestrom:

Firestorm is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date, or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them.

If you continue to receive this message, contact the Second Life Support Portal.

I typed that up myself so there might be a typo in there, but I think you get the general idea. Why would it work yesterday but not today? When I tried running the "Intel Driver Update Utility" it said no drivers were found for my product, as well as searching for that product's drivers on the webpage says none are found... what do I do?

EDIT: I understand buying a video card could very probably fix the problem. I'm not looking for that solution as even $40 is not going to appear in my budget in order to play a computer game. Here's the thing... SL, it worked YESTERDAY. It WORKED. I'm sure if I downgrade to windows seven it'll work again, I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require that.

3 answers to this question

If it is a tower pc I suggest you spend $40.oo for a 3D card ( Online) ,If your on a laptop then not much of choice ,but can try find a driver on the microsoft website... yeah your pc pretty bad there . If your unsure how to install, youtubehow to install. Everything runs fine in the Windows 10 I have no problems, even on my laptop I play

Channel is correct.

Your on-board Graphics Subsystem is very below par for running anything related to 3D Graphics:

If your PC is a tower and has the other minimun sized components then a Graphics Card upgrade may be in order.

Below is a link to the most common Graphics Cards available and their market price. IMHO any nVidia GeForce card is better than what you have now. You want the highest rated performing GC you can afford.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/common_gpus.html

Use that link to see the complete list of common GCs.

• Like 2

DaniWhitcroft wrote: 

EDIT: I understand buying a video card could very probably fix the problem. I'm not looking for that solution as even $40 is not going to appear in my budget in order to play a computer game. Here's the thing... SL, it worked YESTERDAY. It WORKED. I'm sure if I downgrade to windows seven it'll work again, I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require that.

In response to your Edit, Yes rolling back to Windows 7 will allow you entry level access graphically to SecondLife using your PC's existing graphics chipset. Do realize that this too will stop working eventually. Your graphics will be at the lowest level possible and many things in-world will not correctly render for you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.