Rant on Mesh Clothing

Mitchell Indigo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So far, Mesh and I aren't getting along too well.  There are a few pieces of mesh clothing I can wear with no problems, but there are also some that are causing me quite a bit of problems.  I either will have skin showing through clothing, I'll have what look like holes in the clothing even though it's the alpha, some pants, shorts, underwear and even swimsuits hang too low, etc...  Does anyone else feel this way?

First you need to wear the ALPHA layer supplied with the clothing. THAT gets rid of most of the body showing through issues. If you have a less than average shaped body FITMESH might be better for you. Agree. Always try the demo first. If there is not one, don't buy.

A few years ago (YEARS AGO) when mesh clothing came on the scene it was all over the map both size and quality wise. Today it is much better. I suggest buying from top brand at venue events and having a smaller wardrobe rather than buying cheaper items which are often textured by the designer and made by someone else. SOME of those are well made and great, but many have issues. So shopping at the lower end of the spectrum will often just add to your issues.

There are still stores that make legacy SL clothing, but yes, there are many mesh bodies out there now and folks that shell out money for those typically want some really great looking clothes AND without "appliers" old system clothes will not work on the new mesh bodies.

Also keep in mind that many people are switching to mesh bodies. You can not use legacy clothing with these bodies. You must use mesh, or appliers. However, mesh clothing fits on mesh bodies much nicer, I find. I have a maitreya body and I hardly ever have to use the alpha hud with my favorite designers. So that said, it's safe to assume creators are contouring their designs moreso for mesh bodies than the original SL avatar.

The clothes fit the mesh body better IF the clothing creator is able to get the mesh body kit from which to transfer weights.

In the case of Maitreya, your favorite, only a handful of creators have been given that kit and you're likely buying from them as your chosen favorites... Because they fit.

Perpetual cycle but one where you buy into a closed system of limited options which for some, don't cover their needs.

With the paucity of good mesh options, the probability you'll show up to the dance wearing the same dress as another is higher than ever. Even more worrisome is that your chances of showing up with the same face is, too.

I stopped shopping years ago, both in SL and RL. Once you've lived (and shopped) long enough to go through a fashion cycle, you're good to go. And if you mix and match separates, you can go a long time before someone says "didn't you wear that the last time I saw you?".

With a mesh body classic clothes render UNDER the mesh body and therefore do not show.

Designers make classic clothes and appliers. Those are good for classic or mesh bodies. Both are decal like clothes so they fit. Lots of those are being made. The texture needed for the classic body clothes is essentially the same texture used in the applier. There are some changes needed to use a clothes texture in an applier. But, nothing that is a lot of work. It is a matter of knowing what to do. So, it is smart for designers to make their clothes for Appliers and classic bodies.

Lots of mesh clothes are still Standard Size clothes, rigged mesh. If you do not have a compatible shape, they don't fit. You have to modeify your shape and that is a reason many of us don't like rigged or Standard Size mesh clothes. More and more mesh clothes are being made as FITTED mesh. The fitted mesh clothes generally fit mesh bodies well. The technical reasons are explained here in the forum and are a long and tedious. Just know that Fitted Mesh clothes generally fit better. But, that doesn't mean you can skip trying the DEMO.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

The fitted mesh clothes generally fit mesh bodies well.

Well that would be true where the creator of the mesh clothes has the same set of weights which means that they have access to the creator kit of the mesh avatar.  If they don't, then there's two or more items all weighted slightly differently against one poor volume deforming system and it's a bit pants really.

Getting access to the creator kits is far more than just asking for it, rather they seem to want to restrict them to exclusive buddies which results in a limited supply of clothing creators for particular mesh bodies.

A far from ideal system but fine if you only want to be limited to a small number of options and wish to buy into a closed system.

It's a choice of course but not one that suits everyone.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.