Hud base game creation

Loran Redfield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, start with a complete idea as to what the game is going to do, how it will perform, how points are scored, what the experience is, how behavior is tracked etc.

Then script the HUD to follow that specification. A HUD is only an object worn on screen, there's nothing special about it in that respect. If you can script an inworld object, then you can script a hud.

There are a few restrictions on HUDs in SL:

1) Particles doesn't work on HUDs. Thats can be hard, because particles can be used to make pretty effects like smoke, dust, fire and similar stuff.

2) Transparent textures might disappear if you have multiple of them overlapping on the HUD.

3) The HUD is linked as a single object. Makes it difficult to move, rotate or scale game objects made by multiple prims. There was a prim limit on HUDs (256 prims) but i'm not sure if it still applies.

DickieDickens wrote:

Your question is not specific enough. What kind of game do you want to create? Do you want to script everything yourself or are you looking for a system to work with?

If the OP is looking for a system to work with, this is the wrong place to look, so I assume he's a scripter and is asking for design suggestions.  I agree, though, that the question is too vague to answer meaningfully.  Sassy's answer is about the best he's likely to get.

It was just a yes or no question. Which the answer was yes.

Though if people want to be helpful they'd just have to start explaining the introduciton to making a bumper counter game, with score theft, and why that would or would not work.

(He/She only asked for how to start a [any] game)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.