Password headache

SilentRaWrRRRR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Yes, you can reset the password.  If you can't answer the questions or have the old email address, LL will ask you to submit proof of your identity, such as a scan of your driver's license or birth certificate.  Initiate the process by filing a Support Case in the Help/Support section of the website.

Also, you have not lost the chat on that account, if you had it set to log conversations.  Look for the chatlog file on your hard drive.  You can see the default file location by logging in with another account and looking in Preferences.

By the way, I'm sure it's annoying to have your saved password no longer work...but using "remember my password" on the login screen is very poor security practice anyway.  Think of it as a wakeup call, and when you do get your account back and your password re-set, save the avatar name, password, secret question and answer, and email address in a safe place.

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

Yes, you can reset the password.  If you can't answer the questions or have the old email address, LL will ask you to submit proof of your identity, such as a scan of your driver's license or birth certificate.  Initiate the process by filing a Support Case in the Help/Support section of the website.

Also, you have not lost the chat on that account, if you had it set to log conversations.  Look for the chatlog file on your hard drive.  You can see the default file location by logging in with another account and looking in Preferences.

By the way, I'm sure it's annoying to have your saved password no longer work...but using "remember my password" on the login screen is very poor security practice anyway.  Think of it as a wakeup call, and when you do get your account back and your password re-set, save the avatar name, password, secret question and answer, and email address in a safe place.

• Like 1

The Lindens don't post here in these forums. We are just residents like you are. To regain access to your user account you will have to contact Linden Lab support and open a case. See:  https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Password-and-account-information/ta-p/700017

Second, if you have old chat conversations saved, they will be logged to a folder on your computer. The folder may be hidden, but that is controlable from the Windows Control panel (to hide or un-hide folders). In Windows 7 the usual location is   C:\Users\<name you log into the PC with>\AppData\Roaming\<Name of the viewer you use>\<Log in name for your Second Life account>\

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.