PLEASE HELP ME :'( ! DESPERATE

LorSean

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

HELP! I havent been able to run Second life ever since i upgraded my PC to windows 8 , it says

''Second Life is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly, are out of date ,or are for unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you have the latest try reinstalling them.''

I tried everything, i updated my driver every week ,install latest Dx ,Microsoft visual C++2010 x86 (which i heard what every games needs).

I look into forums for help who been facing same problem ,but none of the answer actually help, i havent been able to on SL for almost month now, i just want to have fun with my friends ,my lindens..i dont want all my stuff go to waste.

If you need more information about my graphic card (im not very IT/or very knowledgable about PC) i hope these will help.

http://sta.sh/21ltaiuzt86k?edit=1

I would really appreaciate if you help, i love Second life and i dont want to let it go so soon.

It seems that im able to install any other games, except Second life, it saddens me :( ...

5 answers to this question

First, I notice from your third screenshot that you haven't activated your copy of Windows yet.  This could be causing problems.  I hope you are using a legal copy of the software.  If you are, then activate it before going further.  If you have a bootleg copy, remove it and buy a legal copy.  I'm not making a moral judgement here, just an observation:  most bootleg copies of Windows or other Microsoft software will give you plenty of problems.

Second, go to Windows Update and install any important updates.  You may have to do this several times before your Windows is fully up to date.

Third, go to the manufacturer's web site for your video card.  For example, if your card is by EVGA, go to their website.  (Your card is an NVIDIA GeForce 650, but Nvidia licenses their technology to many vendors, who make the actual graphics cards.)  Download and install the latest graphics drivers.  Be sure you get the drivers for your operating system...Windows 8.1, 64 bit.  Or, if you have the "NVIDIA GeForce Experience" updater application installed on your computer, you can use that to find and install the latest drivers.

• Like 2

Lindal is correct and assuming this is a new install of Windows 8.1, you need to do all the following after you activate it or these steps will not complete:

Dear OP,

All Windows 8.0 & Windows 8.1 Users

1) Manually apply ALL the Required and Important patches for Windows 8 from Microsoft. A new Win 8 PC needs 4-5 iterations of this to get them all. The easiest way to do this is to:

.... a) Enter Desktop Mode
.... b) Launch Internet Explorer
.... c) Right-click on the options area of the Browser and turn on Menu & Status Bar [and any other of the old standards you like]
.... d) Tools / Windows Update.
.... e) Select the CUSTOM button so you can monitor and select the downloaded options to install
.... f) Repeat until all are DL'd and installed

Note: Don't install the Bing Desktop or any of the Bing tool bars. Also, don't install any optional Windows Live components unless you opt for creating an account with Microsoft.

Note: Take this time to upgrade to Windows 8.1 as well. This is done from the AppStore. Yes it will take a long time but Microsoft will not be supporting Windows 8.0 soon. You have to upgrade to Windows 8.1 to get continued support. After the upgrade, manually run the updates process as identified above to obtain the current patch set for Windows 8.1 until it is updated completely.

2) Identify the Video / Graphics system in your PC and get the Windows 8 drivers direct from the Video System manufacturer.

.... http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.​aspx

.... http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-​us

.... http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/graphi​cs

3) If you just performed the items 1) & 2) above, please reinstall SL again using the official version from Linden Lab. [be sure to do a clean install

.... http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

Here is the Windows 8 Manual System File cleanup procedure since it's not in the procedure above.

Windows 8 and Windows 8.1

.... 1) Open C:\Users\(PC Login Name)\AppData\Local and delete the contents of the SecondLife folder.
.... 2) Open C:\Users\(PC Login Name)\AppData\Roaming and delete the contents of the SecondLife folder.
.... 3) Uninstall Second Life using the Programs and Features tool in the Windows Control Panel.
.... 4) Download and install the latest release of the Second Life Viewer from http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/.

Note: (PC Login Name) is the Windows 8 User Account Login Name

If you can't see the files or folders described above:
.... 1) Using File Explorer navigate to -> Libraries / Computer / ( C: ) / Users /
.... 2) Press the Continue button to get permission to obtain permanent permission edit this directory.
.... 3) From the View drop-down menu option select Options & Change Folder & Search Options
.... 4) Select the View Tab
.... 5) Under the Hidden Files and Folders options click on the - O Show hidden files, folders & Drives radio button
.... 6) Push the Apply Button then the OK button.

You should be up and running in no time.

P.S. I recommend these steps on all Windows 8 PC's and Laptops, specifically designed for Windows 8 with high-end Graphics Sub-Systems or Graphics Cards.

P.S.S. - On Upgraded PC's & Laptops - If your computer was not designed specifically for Windows 7 or Windows 8 these steps may still help. There are many "Designed for Vista" PC's that don't upgrade well to Windows 8. If your PC was designed for Windows XP, Windows 8 is usually NOT a viable option, practically speaking.

• Like 1

I'm not contradicting anyone's advice here.  I'm just lobbing in a comment.  I run Windows 8.1.  It came with the laptop.  I have an NVidia GForce 850 video card.  First of all, I hate Windows 8, however, that is beside the point.  I can run both the official viewer and Singularity viewer just fine.  You should uninstall every part of the SL viewers you have installed before you even try to fix your other Windows 8 updates etc.  You don't want the same failed scripts to be grabbed by your second or third install causing the same issues.  If you have tried everything to install the official SL viewer and it still won't work, you might give Singularity a try.  It is a little simpler viewer, but I find it easier to navigate and it takes up fewer resources I've been told (can't swear by that statement, it's just what I've been told.)

I activated my windows ,updated my windows several times ,updated my Nvidia drivers ,reinstalled second life (clean), i did all i can and i follow your instructions

But nothing seem to work for me...

i better give up

I did everything ,i did all your instructions

activated my windows, updated my windows several times, updated my driver n install what i should ,reinstalled second life (clean) like you told me to

but nothing seem to work for me....

i feel like giving up, maybe its juz my pc..thanks anyway

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3091 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.