How does the fishing thing functions?

hallebarde

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I saw the fishes in the sea, not only small ones but big ones too.  There was a shark where I was swimming.  I also saw in the fishing headquarters selling worms as baits.  What I anm puzzled about is how the fishing is working from a software point of view.

That is, did Linden put into the ocean lots and lots of fishes programmed to bite baits and get caught?

Or is it in some other way this all thing works?

P.S. I've seen snapshots of fishermen with huge tunna fishes in the edge of their line or fishing rod, or whatever they use, but not in their inventory, that's for sure.  I try to discover if factors of skill and luck are involved in such games or everything is pre-arranged such as whoever stands in the edge of the water and follows rules gets same random rewards.

Perhaps one should try for himself in order to realize what is going on.  If I will not fish, at least next time I see a shark in the ocean I'll go and touch him to see if it reacts.

3 answers to this question

The fish you see in the water are decorations.

The fishing game is a separate thing.  With the game, you can fish where an area has been set up for fishing.  Each cast takes a little time and will return a random item.  Sometimes a fish and sometimes a prize from the store hosting the fishing area,

• Like 1

Linden Lab's Department of Public Works (LDPW) creates objects for all public lands in SL, for the enjoyment of residents.  All fish, sea monsters, sunken galleons, plants, and other undersea objects are there to make an otherwise barren seafloor look interesting.  Many are scripted to move, some to interact with people who wander by.

Rather unfortunately, in my view, Second Life does not have either a native ecology or native weather.  However, clever Residents have partly filled these gaps in a number of ways.

Most plants and animals are not truly "alive".  They don't eat, grow, or reproduce.  However, they can have some clever animations and even rudimentary artificial intelligence.  I have a big shark in my harbor that is curious...if you get within a certain range of him, he will come up to you and sniff you.  (Do sharks sniff?  if so, do they get water up their nose?)  Other sharks will "eat" you.  There are some trees and plants that can be clicked to change the "season" of the tree, from spring to summer to fall foliage, or bare winter branches.

There are also "breedables". These animals ARE scripted to require "food" and "care" and they can create offspring.  There is quite a market in several types of breedable animals.  You have to spend quite a bit on food, purchased from the system's creator.

There are two or three different "fishing" games.  Some cost money for tackle and bait, others do not.  When you cast your bait into water where the game is in operation (or even into a bucket or your living room), after a while, you "catch a fish."  That is, a fish object is delivered to your inventory.  You can keep these fish as pets...put them in an aquarium, or wear them and let them swim around your head.  Sometimes you don't catch a fish, but some other type of prize.

There are some "weather" systems.  I have "snow machines" that I put  on my land around Christmas time.  You can simulate rain, snow, or fog with particle effects.  However, particle rain is not stopped by prims, so you have to be careful about what areas are affected or it will be raining in your bedroon.  One of my friends had a thunderstorm that was a security system.  Intruders got attacked by the storm and tossed around all over the place.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.