Error after error in mesh uploader

CadenzaInVivace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

All I'm creating is a simple ring collar with a dangling chain in front of it. It's just a damn ring with a bunch of smaller linked rings, and SL is throwing me error after error for trying to upload it. First I get some completely messed up dimensions for the chain hoops. It looked fine in the importer but upon rezzing it, the hoops are completely stretched in the Y axis and the Y dimension is reduced to 0.01, meaning I can't shrink it back to its normal size. Then I applied the scale in blender and tried to upload it again, and now it's throwing either "failed to upload, multiple errors, check the log" or "mav_block_missing". I play around with the LOD settings in importer, forcing some fields to 0, and now the uploader simply hangs after clicking "calculate".

It's this hard to importer literally a bunch of rings into SL...??

CadenzaInVivace wrote:

It's this hard to importer literally a bunch of rings into SL...??

Sometimes.

The dimension issue is because of the minimum size limit for objects in Second Life. which is 1 centimeter on any axis.

To fix that you would have to add invisible geometry, which is larger than the minimum dimensions, to the tiny pieces. Depending on how many pieces you have, this can be tedious to do. So I would recommend merging as many meshes as possible into one mesh.

The reason for the other errors are hard to tell, without seeing the object, and some information about vert count, triangle count etc..

I agree with arton on the minimum size issue. Mesh only shrinks so far down in SL (greater in other platforms but that doesn't matter to you *wink*. So adding something larger with another material so that you can turn it invisible is often needed in jewelry.

Regarding other issues. Sometimes it really IS the uploader and the day. Other times it is something that you did. This last week has been one of the worst server codes for MANY people in MANY MANY months. So adding some "fake" geometry and trying again after the codes change (not sure when that would be on the beta grid) would be a good plan. Other than that, post more photos with more info ---- ALWAYS a good plan here.

Hello,

I also have a problem with a chain i made in blender. It's a necklace chain i did it with the chain addon but when trying to upload it in sl i got the infamous mav block missing error, i redid that damn chain so many times with less detailed links hoping it would be less heavy and work better, but i still get the error.

I clean the chain, nothing is missing, no face missing no useless vertices, and it's not really heavy for a necklace, i'm at a loss here, i'm not sure what im doing wrong or missing, i deleted all extra parts like the empty or the circle, it's just that clean chain and i cant do anything with it.

If someone has an answer i would love it.

I'm not sure but I may have one more possible reason for those inexplicable error messages. I ran into it on the beta grid earlier this week but then I tried uploading again less than a minute later and had no problems at all. The one thing that had changed in the meantime was that my inventory had fully loaded. There might be some connection there. It can't explain nearly all the weird errors of course but at least some of them.

Apart from that, you've done the usual checklist? Checked for any black spots in the preview? Tried a different viewer? Tried different sims? (that one will not help in this case but oh well) Tried different grids?

Ok so, i asked in the blender group, cause i got desesperate and been 3days i tried to figure it out, we spended a good 1 hour to try this and that, i did nothing wrong, and i redid everything with them and still the error.

UNTIL someone linked me this https://plus.google.com/+IndigoMertel/posts/UaEksFQuSXv .
It's so silly i feel stupid, but it worked.

Now i just gonna cross my fingers for it to work again next time.

I hope that will help others

I believe there are 2 situations when MAV_BLOCK errors appear where you can not immediately tell why they show up:

1. When you create meshes with more than 21844 triangles per texture face
    The problem is that the SL Importer then silently splits the texture faces into smaller chunks. this creates extra materials. And as far as i understood, those extra materials are not necessarily recreated on lower LOD's. Consequently you get missiong material issues and MAV_BLOCK failures.
    Solution: Avoid texture faces with more thn 21843 triangles.
  2. When you create small objects with disconnected sub-meshes:
    In that case it looks like the problem is because the physics engine removes triangl;es with too small surface. this again can lead to removall of materials (although i did not exactly understand the reasoning). However, this seems to work in all cases where anything else failed:
    Solution: Add a custom physics mesh (a simple cube will do) and see if the MAV_BLOCK error goes away.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.