Why does LL cost so much?

LadySevda

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have seen quite a few questions similar to what im asking. I do want to know why do they charge so dang much. I have played second life on a few SL accounts for the past 6 years. I have always wanted to run my own sim but to start up is 1000L$ and to keep up with the sim is 250. But i can not have the money for this. Someone made a point about the updating SL.. Why should we pay for a 250/1000L$ sim plus 74 yearly, 22.50 quarterly, and almost 8 bucks on a premium membership, plus more money for lindens and other stuff when it doesnt even cost that much for an mmo game. It just doesnt make any sence y they would charge this much for an outdated game. I came to SL to relax and get away from the real life world. I think LL should lower there prices to a more affordable amount. I dont care if everyone wants to complain. the money should be going towards the game not for what ever they are doing with it now.

4 answers to this question

This is not an MMO.  You are not renting CPU cycles for finite, limited and preloaded content, you are renting something like this  with limitless possible content generated on the fly by other residents.

In the end it is all about cost | value ratio of the product.  Is the value you get from renting a full sim worth the costs to you?  If no, then don't rent the sim.

• Like 1

That's really a nice open-ended question for discussion, but we can't really discuss anything in Answers.  The forum's not set up right for back-and-forth.  You really ought to re-post this in General Discussion.

Since you were looking for an answer, however, the most basic one is that SL is not a game -- at least not a game in the same sense as WoW or most other on-line games you might have played.  Almost all of those games do most of their thinking right on your own computer.  There's very little server overhead behind them because all of the graphics is pre-packaged, not created and continuously updated by users.  Second Life, on the other hand, has most of its heavy-duty stuff on servers that communicate with your viewer. They have to keep track of all that user-created stuff and send second-by-second updates to viewers.  Take a look at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_architecture .  There are over 8000 servers for supporting the regions alone, plus hundreds of others for handling inventory databases, communication, mapping, Marketplace, accounting .....  Servers aren.t cheap, and they aren't cheap to maintain.  The land fees you pay for a region are paying to keep those servers on line and well-oiled.  Plus a lot of other things.

• Like 1

It's not really an answer to your question,but if you want to own a region there's no particular reason to pay the set-up fee.

Just take a look at the Regions For Sale: Full Private Island forum and you will see that it's possible to buy a full region for little more than the cost of the transfer fee plus the outstanding tier the seller has already paid.

As I recall, LL will even move the island for you for free.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.