I have a question

JessicaResseDaniels

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm a new to creating inworld and I have a question maybe someone can either give me direct information or direct me to someone that can. Any links or tutorials will help also.  Anyway, my question is how and where would I get chair animation scripts that will allow the avi to stand beside or behind the chair upon standing, instead of making the avi stand on top of the table or chair.  Personally, it's really very annoying and ridiculous to see your avi remove from the sitting position and end up on top of the table... lol. Please help.  Thank you

1 answer to this question

I agree.  Unfortunately, that's not one of the easiest things to manage in SL.  A normal LSL script cannot control an avatar's movements directly. ( I'm discounting the possibility that some people may be using the RLV feature in some third party viewers, which does allow it .)  When a person chooses to sit, the script can control where the person sits and which direction s/he faces, and it can move the person or the whole chair.  As soon as the person stands up, though, the script has no control over where the person goes. 

I have had some small amount of luck by applying a gentle shove to point an unseating av in the right direction, but that only works in limited circumstances (on land where Push is not restricted or where the script is owned by the land owner, and where there's an obvious place to push the av toward.)  Even then it's a crude and somewhat unpredictable tool.  I have also seen some chairs designed with high backs and arms (visible or invisible) that act as a sort of corral, leaving the av only one way out when s/he stands.  That, too, is a bit awkward.  Overall, the best solution is not to place a chair in such a way that there is an obstacle in front of it.  That's not easy if the chair is meant to be at a dining table, but I have scripted a couple of chairs to back up a meter or so as soon as an av stands up, thus leaving an escape route so that the av doesn't end up standing on the table. (See EDIT below.)  All of these are custom tricks that work in some situations and not in others, and they require some fiddly work on the part of a scripter or designer.  There is no one-size-fits-all solution as far as I know.

EDIT:  OK, you inspired me.  See https://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Library/A-Smart-Chair-Helps-You-Un-Sit-Gracefully/td-p/2970334

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.