Jump to content

3DS Max Rigging Clothes. [updated again] Skin weights problem


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Hi, over the past few months I finished my 3ds max course and had enough practice to begin making things for Second Life, I made and textured a simple top, as picture linked below, but the only problem is that I have no idea how to rig it to my SL avatar, I have no idea how rigging works and I can't find any tutorials for 3DS Max rigging for SL. Or would Blender tutorials work just as well if I adapt them? Thank you for any and all help! 

http://prnt.sc/8n0o0f

Edit: So after figuring out rigging and spending all day working with the skin modifier, I finally got it to work! Everything works perfectly in 3DS, rigged fine no verticies left behind bends/moves with the skeleton correctly, I have added all the 26 bones, and i've changed my units to meters and deselected animations aswell as changed to Z-axis export, although when I try to upload, skin weights is grayed out in SL, anyone know of a fix? Been at this all day :/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, thank you for your reply. I have been following that tutorial very carefully. I tried to add the collision bones as you said, but that didn't help either. I've noticed that I don't have the Left_Handle or Right_Handle collision bones and my total bone count ends up at 50, (26 without collision bones). Also, I've tried to look for the "Joints Array" in my collada file, I even used the find tool and that doesn't seem to be anywhere in my file, altough all the bones that I selected are listed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is how it looks in the collada file for me, exported from Max 2015. It's rigged to 12 C_Bones only, and I simply copy/pasted the list of mBones into the collada file.

I also left the joints array count at 12, and it uploaded with skin weights just fine. Perhaps that's because of the latest SL viewer has some changes around mesh import, idk.

<Name_array id="LowpolyVest002Controller-Joints-array" count="12"> L_CLAVICLE CHEST L_UPPER_ARM NECK R_CLAVICLE UPPER_BACK LEFT_PEC BELLYLOWER_BACK PELVIS RIGHT_PEC R_UPPER_ARM mHipRight mKneeRight mAnkleRight mFootRight mToeRight mHipLeft mKneeLeft mAnkleLeft mFootLeft mToeLeft mPelvis mTorso mChest mNeck mHead mSkull mEyeRight mEyeLeft mCollarLeft mShoulderLeft mElbowLeft mWristLeft mCollarRight mShoulderRight mElbowRight mWristRight</Name_array>

I have to addmit, I don't do rigging stuff usually, so I'm also not an expert on the subject.

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...