Help with Creating Mesh

EstellaSerrano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've gotten myself Blender and Avastar 1.5. Now I've been trying to follow some tutorials because I intend to create fitmesh for Maitreya Mesh Body Lara at some point.In order to do this I should probably try some basics first. I tried to follow several tutorials but everything it so happens that whatever they say in the tutorial, I can't even find within my own Blender.

I've never really done anything like this before but I want to learn on how to make this kind of stuff.

Can anyone advise me on how to do this, or which tutorials are actually good?

Hi;

I can not give you immediate solutions, but maybe it can give you some ideas about how to proceed to find your way to your success...

First of all: Fitted Mesh is not so easy to master because of a couple of things (whoewver wants to add more to the following list, please do :matte-motes-wink: :

• Fitted Mesh is a method that uses only Skeletal Animation to form the Avatar shape. While the SL Avatar uses a combination of Skeletal Animation and Morph Shapes (Shape keys in Blender) This results in serious problems when you try to use fitted mesh to adjust your meshes to the default SL Avatar
  • Fitted Mesh uses a subset of the Avatar skeleton, the Collision Volume Bones. All of these bones are clamped to corresponding "classic" mBones (those 26 blue bones in Avastar which we had to use until fitted mesh became popular). So the Fitted Mesh bones never move independent from their classic counterparts (However the Pecks, the Butt and the Back bones need some additional thoughts...). This is actually good news, but you need to know exactly how to work with these bone pairs to get the best out of the system.
  • The SL skeleton allows no more than 4 bone weights for any vertex of the mesh. If you do not know how to create a good weighting (that uses a minimum number of bones on each vertex) then you are likely to mess up your weightmaps when you export the mesh (because then only the 4 biggest bone weights survive on each vertex)
  • The classic mBones can be moved around  by rotating their joints (movement animations) and they can change their length by using the Appearance Sliders. Some bones (head, neck, ...)  also can be used to scale up/down the nearby mesh parts. While fitted Mesh bones can only be used to scale the volume of the nearby mesh-parts up or down (by using appearance sliders) When you combine collision volumes and classic mBones then you can get all sorts of interdependencies with animation AND shaping your attachments.

In other words: Welcome to the weighting hell :matte-motes-evil:

We (the Avastar makers) have been looking for ways out of this and i believe that we are close to some point where the hell gets way cooler than it currently is, see here for the reference guide (currently work in progress):

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/avastar/reference/creating-fitted-mesh/

But this is all still in its Alpha state and it will become available only with the next Avastar release. In the meantime you could check out the other reference guides on our Website where you can learn a lot about how to work with the SL Avatar in general, and a bit about how to get fitted mesh to do what you want.

EstellaSerrano wrote:

Can anyone advise me on how to do this, or which tutorials are actually good?

I like all the ones by that Gaia woman ;)

The other thing i'd say is that the Blender interface is completely customisable and has changed between versions.  The FIRST thing that i'd suggest is to go through lots of tutorials that just cover the absolute basics of the Blender interface and don't go rushing into making a piece of clothing otherwise you'll just be in for grief.

Once you can understand the interface and how to customise it, it will be much easier because then when you watch a tutorial where someone has their interface set up in an unfamiliar way, you should at least be able to find things and concentrate on what they're actually trying to do.

From an instructional point of view, tutorials and such like should really use software in the default layout and not personalised custom prettyness.

Hi :)

This 12 part beginners guide to modeling in Blender was recommended by someone here a few weeks ago

I have scanned through them ...... she used to teach Blender in Second life and every thing i saw was relevant to what you are wanting to do. If you attempt to create rigged anything without first learning everything that Haven is teaching here it will only end in tears !

After that it will be UV unwrapping and texturing ..................

It takes time, practice and alot of patience, and if the passion is still with you then you will be ready for Avastar :)

For testing your meshes use the SL beta grid because you can upload as much as you like there for free. There will be much testing.

Awesome. Thank you all, I'm going to try and do things with the information you've given me. Scroll through those tutorials and hope I get somewhere. :)

Sometimes it's difficult for me to find any cool shirts for my Maitreya body. So that's why I plan on starting on making my own.

I learned by watching HAVEN DITKO on you tube.  She has a 12 part series that clearly explains how to use blender from the very basics.  Then I progressed to watching GOON SQUAD videos and other random ones including OLD AVASTAR videos I found online.  The layout and whatnot is different but the basic idea is there and once you watch Haven you will understand.  Haven uses Blender 1.73 or 1.74 in all the videos so they are current and easy to follow.  I learned in 3 weeks!!!  I do not understand fitmesh (have not tried to learn yet) but I have created my first dress, unwrapped, rigged and uploaded it YAY... IN 3 WEEKS (watching 2 videos a day)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.