Alt Accounts & Drama

BinxSalem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SL is a very complex and fractured place, and we need not look further than the proliferation of alt accounts many people have. I myself have a legacy account from when I first began playing SL when I was 19, and have in the past year created multiple different characters to use mainly for roleplaying or dressup. This account I am currently using was my first alt, and has become my main avatar since around its creation.

I have not been without drama in my adventures online though. When I had first told a very intimately close friend that I had made an alt he was very upset that I wanted to be anyone else than the person he had come to know. Personally I just wanted to have a fresh start of things (8 years of junk lag an inventory SO freakin' badly), but he was insistent in believing I just didn't enjoy the life I had made with him and other friends. Things calmed down eventually, but I unfortunately lost that friend to what I can only chalk up as a very unfortunate case of jealousy.

This leads me to wonder though, does anyone else out there use alt accounts, and if so, for what purposes? Is it to simply play dressup as an entirely new person, or to perhaps express a side of yourself you can't as only one character? Is it for work or even testing something? And has the attention you have paid to one Second Life ever led to any drama in another? Or on the other hand, has anyone ever dealt with a friend or partner using multiple accounts, and what was your reaction to it?

I have multiple alts. Some because I liked the name. One for business. I'm an admin in an RP sim on this one so not appropriate to RP in other sims on her so I have alts I RP on in different types of sims. One has mostly midieval stuff for those sims, one is punked out for playing in Crack Den for instance. I also have some that are NPCs where I RP that are used for different RP purposes in the sim. I also have them for models for my store with different mesh bods on them. There doesn't have to be drama on them unless someone else makes drama.

I have an all that serves as my banker for the money I receive from my rental business. I also have an account that is my original account but I never use it anymore. I use this account as my only true active account and all of my different looks, outfits, and roleplaying his done through this account.

I have one alt and one alt only. The primary reason for my alt is as backup incase something happens to my main account. Most things I have for my alt are freebies and or things I baught her from my main account. That said, she is hardly used but there for back up. Although, she does rp diffrent from my main account when she is on. People have alts for as manty reasons as there are alts. Nothing wrong with having an alt or 2 or 3 lol.

I have multiple alts. Effectively, My main account is the only one with which I have indulged in any significant interpersonal interaction. The alts are all for business, accounting, or testing. I used one of them for some planned, experimental role play once with someone who was aware of it.

The ownership of multiple accounts and the creation of drama are not necessarily always concommitant. It happens everywhere for myriad reasons, one being insecurity.

I've made alts for several reasons. My original av was designed for certain roleplay only. I rped Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer on the Sunnydale sim. I got famious in the part certain people would treat me as if I was actually James Marsters the actor himself. I had a chick literally get mad at me one time because I was at my home off the rp sim and she wanted to rp just alittle to personally for my tastes and I told her no out right and to piss off. This is my second and main av and I did famious in the boxing circle in SL, but it was a different kind of fame. More of a I was just well known by people that came to watch my fights. Had some issues, but nothing compared to Spikes. And I have one av that will remain nameless that is basically a blank slate and it is refered to as my watching tv av. lol I use him mainly to watch movies in my home and I don't want to be disdturbed period. Not even a single IM. That's just how I roll. :)

That being said I had one friend who had exactly the same issue and only would talk to her if she was on a certain av only. Would ignore her IM's from any other alt. That dude was crazy. Nuff said. Another friend I call the Player she has probably 20 alts and married to 5 atleast different guys. I know guys who do the same stuff. That's where the issues with alts become a problem in relationships. Had a past relationship I later found out half the time we was partnered she was on an alt doing some other dude while running around with me. So my rule is this. If ya got alts and we are dating do me the curtasy of letting me know what they are if your going to be playing them. Because ya got one time for me to personally catch ya out hidden on an alt and I am done. So I do not blame the guy for being concerned especially if he has had a bad experiance, but if you were honest and you did say that you were then he should have just relaxed and chilled out about it. It's not having an alt that is the issue. It's what people do with them that becomes the problem. Hope this helps some. :)

I have an alt from when I made clothes regularly. Instead of changing body parts, I would just switch to my alt with the brazilia and Lola's to check my work.

There's nothing wrong with having Alts, it's when people start doing dishonest things like friending you to try to get you to talk about them, it gets a little weird. As long as you're not being dishonest about it, can't really complain.

Velk Kerang wrote:

I've made alts for several reasons. My original av was designed for certain roleplay only. I rped Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer on the Sunnydale sim. I got famous in the part certain people would treat me as if I was actually James Marsters the actor himself. I had a chick literally get mad at me one time because I was at my home off the rp sim and she wanted to rp just a little too personally for my tastes and I told her no out right and to piss off. This is my second and main av and I did famous in the boxing circle in SL, but it was a different kind of fame. More of a I was just well known by people that came to watch my fights. Had some issues, but nothing compared to Spikes. And I have one av that will remain nameless that is basically a blank slate and it is referred to as my watching tv av. lol I use him mainly to watch movies in my home and I don't want to be disturbed period. Not even a single IM. That's just how I roll.
:)

That being said I had one friend who had exactly the same issue and only would talk to her if she was on a certain av only. Would ignore her IM's from any other alt. That dude was crazy. Nuff said. Another friend I call the Player she has probably 20 alts and married to 5 at least different guys. I know guys who do the same stuff. That's where the issues with alts become a problem in relationships. Had a past relationship I later found out half the time we was partnered she was on an alt doing some other dude while running around with me. So my rule is this. If ya got alts and we are dating do me the courtesy of letting me know what they are if your going to be playing them. Because ya got one time for me to personally catch ya out hidden on an alt and I am done. So I do not blame the guy for being concerned especially if he has had a bad experience, but if you were honest and you did say that you were then he should have just relaxed and chilled out about it. It's not having an alt that is the issue. It's what people do with them that becomes the problem. Hope this helps some.
:)

Just to clarify...... "Having ALTs is not the problem, being Crazy is the problem!"

I know folks that are just plain off the wall certifiable basket cases and all they own is a single avatar account. They have no sense of how to participate in a society at all yet alone any clue that dramatics are generally frowned upon. The remainder are Naturall Born Emotional Vampires.

A crazy bit of alt 'abuse' I ran into once: I was at a D/s kink location where I was IMd by Domme. Her av wasn't that great but I was happy to accept that if a bit of interesting play (and maybe some kind of relationship, if we turned out to be compatible) was possible. It was also clear, after a few minutes of chat, that she was on a text-only viewer of some kind. Still, no big deal, and there's plenty of fun to be had with words alone.

Before very long she directed me to a guy standing nearby. Was I bi? Did I find the guy attractive? Given the nature of the story, you are probably way ahead of me now, but at the time it wasn't so obvious. Basically, she ordered me to try to seduce him in as forceful and aggressive manner as possible.

Speaking to him for a few minutes, it became obvious that both accounts were under the control of the same person. Yes, this guy's plan to get women to dominate him was to contact submissives in the guise of a Domme and order them to seduce himself. I called him on it straight away and got an embarrassed admission. It didn't stop him and for a few weeks afterward I saw the two of... him at the same location, presumably trying the same trick on other submissives.

Alts are very useful tools, and I've never found they caused drama.

I use one as a camera. My main account can then model for vendor photos, and adjust the scene, etc, while my alt sits on a box (so she can't move) and sets up the best photograph. This way, I can keep a consistent camera angle between shots, and my main has the freedom to keep making adjustments knowing the camera won't be thrown off.

I think for every dodgy way to use an alt, there are 100 good reasons to use them. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.