Been crashing for the past week....

Persifiny Pevensey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Seemed to start after a Win 10 instalation of updates, however, after going back to win 8.1 with a clean install, (complete format of all partitions and reinstall of all drivers), the problem persists. I have also tried several different viewers, turning off open gl, basic shaders ect.. I know there have been issues with mesh viewing with my cards, I have duel amd radeon video cards, but none of the fixes released fix the problem either. I considered a problem with the video cards, but they work everywhere else, other games, video, netflix ect.  Im not sure if this relates, but at the same time, my wireless adapter is also sketchy, again, only when I try to log on SL with the viewers I have tried so far.

If anyone out there see's something I have missed or has any suggestions, I would completely appriciate it.

Ah! I forgot to mention the most important part, the crashing, crashes the entire computer, not just the viewer. AND, while it seems to crash after a certain amount of time, editing and camming are the trigger! Saly the two things I need the most right now hahaha

Well, thank you for reading this, I am open to all ideas :)

4 answers to this question

When you say "I considered a problem with the video cards, but they work everywhere else, other games, video, netflix ect." - does this mean you tested using other OGL applications? Netflix (for example) uses Silverlight and definitely won't share commonality with OGL powered 3D like SL uses. Video? Does your video utilise your graphics card? A large majority of games you are likely to play on Windows run using DirectX, not OpenGL - so aren't useful metrics, either.

If it crashes your entire machine then this is some issue with your system, not Second Life. It's likely that your drivers for one or more of your sub-systems (e.g. graphics - since this doesn't seem adequately tested, or networking - since you say this isn't stable either). For reference, only the latest standard of Wifi is any good for Second Life - if your hardware is older and doesn't support 5Ghz links, you should be using a wired connection.

You don't provide any useful information for diagnosis so there's no way to provide useful advice. Get your PC fixed (probably by paying someone real money) and then see if SL still has issues. As it is we could spend all day - or a bunch of days - trying to guess something that would be brilliantly obvious if we were stood in front of the machine This issue is more than likely caused by poor drivers or poor driver support. You may need more compatible hardware, Windows 10 isn't super at playing nice with old stuff.

• Like 1

Thank you for responding Freya.

Can you be more specific, for example, what kind of useful information is needed?

As far as your first paragraph, I mentioned that it was previously working, and that I had tried turning off the open gl (OGL), to see if that would help, obviously because it is a known problem with amd cards, and I have duel amd radeon cards, which is also mentioned.

I also mentioned that I updated with the current drivers. They are the same drivers I used previously, as there have been no updates to these cards in less than a week ago.

It certainly could be that my system is out dated, it is about 3 years old now, however, that does not explain this problem which just happened this past week after a windows update.

The problem is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I feel like Im missing something obvious.....I kinda feel like Im looking for my glasses and they are on top of my head lol

But Thank you so much for your imput :)

Working previous to upgrading Operating System is kind of like saying "it used to work before I smashed it with a hammer". The number of changes that a new OS makes is substantial. That the manufacturers haven't released new drivers yet implies one possibility - your hardware is not yet (or not ever) ready for Win10.

For any kind of help you'll probably need to talk more about the OGL version you're capable of, what specific cards (and driver versions) you're using and blahblah technical stuff. You can get a lot from Help > About in the SL viewer.

You could also paste error messages (word-for-word), but again, this is really only a service for helping resolve SL-specific problems. It's a bit beyond our capacity to troubleshoot whole systems for failure points. SL is Windows10 compatible, but it appears your PC (for whatever reason) is not yet there.

If you feel like you're missing the right information, then helpers here are definitely not going to have enough - the only thing we have to go on in cases like this, is what you can tell us. Good luck, though.

Hi again, Maybe Im not being clear, because it doesnt seem that you are actually reading what I wrote. If its my wording , then I apologize

Like I also stated in my original message, yes this all started with an update for win 10, but I did a clean install back to win 8.1, and everything was restored back to where it was a working version previously. To say "everything worked until I smashed it with a hammer" doesnt apply here.

All drivers are win 10 versions, I am not using any win 10 beta drivers. There obviously are no error messages on crash.

As far as open gl versions, I have no clue. Seeing as AMD are not really OGL compatible, they are mainly direct X.

My specific Cards are AMD Radeon HD 6570 w/ 2g ram on each. The crash issue is the same regardless if crossfire is on or not. I do not overclock or use overdrive.

I was thinking that maybe someone else may have experienced this problem or knew of this same problem, and had an idea what might be wrong. If not, then no worries :) I am checking all avenues :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.